starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who can press more than body weight?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    I have no idea what level of lifter you are, your training background, etc - so it would be tough to recommend anything without more info.

I will say, that I've never done a true "light squat day" in my own personal training. I'd rather change up the exercise to a front squat, or safety squat bar squat, or add chains or bands, etc. to mix thing up a little and still work up to a heavy 3-5 or so - maybe not a true 3-5RM but fairly close. OR I'll hit a tough higher rep full squat - something in the 10 rep range for additional hypertrophy - but again, I'm coming from a long background of lifting.

And I'm not saying a lighter squat day in the 5 rep range with a lower RPE (in say, the 8 range) is bad - it's just not something that I've enjoyed and therefore haven't done a ton of it in my own training.
    Thanks a lot, that helps. I am 6'3, about 210lbs and current PRs are 152.5kg (336lb) for 6 reps on the squat two weeks ago, and deadlift 195kg (430lb) for 6 reps a while back. I could probably squeeze out a little bit more linear progression but I do 5/3/1 because I enjoy it more at the moment and it's way easier to recover from. I've lifted for about a year, with some crossfit stuff before that.

I am novice enough that my technique becomes a problem when I only squat once a week, and squat progression has been fairly poor as of late. So I wanted to add in another squat session partially because of bettering technique and partially to get a bit more volume. Squatting has served well in the past to drive my deadlift as well.
    Last edited by fanboi; 08-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Based on your current strength (which is fairly solid) and your need to increase the frequency of squat, then I think a basic linear program with a peaking phase (such as 5/3/1) would be an excellent choice.

I will note that I have NOT read the 5/3/1 manual - though MANY guys at my gym have and we have several guys at the gym that are close buddies with Wendler and were trying it out before the book was published. So that said, I know he has several "tweaks" on the basic 5/3/1 program - different options he gives to meet your specific needs.

I'm typically not into bastardizing a program, and I believe the basic 5/3/1 is solid as is. However, if you wanted to add a lighter squat session following deadlifts, then that would probably be fine for your situation. I would stay in the 3-5 rep range and would NOT stuggle with any weight at all on that day - the sets should be work sets, but nothing in the RPE 9+ range.

Last thought - IF you decide to do this, then stick with it and don't change it up for at least a cycle or two. The nice thing about 5/3/1 is that the whole cycle (including the deload) lasts only 4 weeks, so try it for a few cycles and see if your numbers continue to get better.

Thanks a lot.

Matt,

Thanks for the great posts.

Quote Originally Posted by willhu12 View Post
    Put it this way - he can just about do a one-handed, handstand pushup.
    putting things in perspective on handstand pushups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7PMeoE2c0
    Last edited by Monster; 08-12-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster View Post
    Matt,

Thanks for the great posts.

putting things in perspective on handstand pushups:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I7PMeoE2c0
    I bet that dude can press girls over his head. Jeeeeeeeeesus.

http://www.youtube.com/v/bF0ikh__8tc&hd=1

Revenge for last week's embarrassment.

Also, watch me hit an RPE of like 30 on the 165 single...lul.
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 08-13-2010 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blowdpanis View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/v/bF0ikh__8tc&hd=1

Revenge for last week's embarrassment.

Also, watch me hit an RPE of like 30 on the 165 single...lul.
    do your wrists bend like that even on lighter sets? i am sorry if this sounds like unnecessary advice but you could get more with bending your wrists a little more forward.

given that his wrists don't move for the entirety of his press, i imagine "they bend like that" with lighter weights. his grip looks fine to me. there's a pretty slight difference between a good press grip and one where it's too far from the wrist. you can tell his is good because of how close the bar is too his thumb.

penisblower's video reminds me of how funny a 1rm press can look. and on topic, no, i can't press more than bodyweight, but i'm 20lb away with 235. here's video of my last 1rm attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GN5xTZqTCA

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    do your wrists bend like that even on lighter sets? i am sorry if this sounds like unnecessary advice but you could get more with bending your wrists a little more forward.
    I dunno, that position feels pretty normal? I've also heard this advice for bench press, but having my wrists too vertical honestly just feels awkward.

starting strength coach development program
    sorry if i may sound like a know it all. and as rip says not everyone is entitled to an opinion.

it might be camera angle or blowd has bigger wrists but looking at you wrists miles, even at a beastly max effort BTW, your knuckles face upwards more which i believe is more ideal.

anyway nice lifts to both!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456