Thread: Training in the Heat

Default Training in the Heat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Bill Starr

Article

Resources Page

Just gave that a skim, and it looks useful and interesting. It should be noted, however, that while caffeine by itself is indeed a diuretic and will thus lead to dehydration, caffeinated beverages have more than enough liquid to offset this effect. The idea that caffeinated drinks dehydrate you has been debunked pretty thoroughly, so, have yourself a nice iced coffee with your squats.

Default Picture

Really like the picture featured with the article. Would love to see more.

I train in my garage in South Florida and he's right on about the fluids. When you realize you maybe behind its usually too late. I do use Gatorade powder however and I find that drinking a fair amount BEFORE (half an hour before or so) the workout helps, to 'fill the tank'. And lots of chalk to combat the sweaty hands.

All in all, I wouldn't trade it for the world. As miserable as it can be (esp. in the summer) it feels great on my joints. Plus, in the winter down here its heaven. In between sets get to sit 'outside' and enjoy the cool breezes and blue skies.

I like the part about training whether or not the conditions are favorable. Something to keep in mind on those hot days when your already tired from work and the couch is calling your name.

Quote Originally Posted by ILiftAlone View Post
    I like the part about training whether or not the conditions are favorable. Something to keep in mind on those hot days when your already tired from work and the couch is calling your name.
    True. I have been training for the last month in this gym that doubles as a martial arts gym. It's basically just a big big room, that after a whole day of people exercising, has probably attained thermal equilibrium with the people inside it. It was fucking hell the first week. I would wait 5 minutes after a set and I would still be breathing hard my heart still pounding.

Just told myself to stop being a pussy, got heavy on the chalk and drunk half a gallon of milk after my workouts.

A week later I was doing just fine.

Great stuff - funny, true, and useful. I soaked through my shirt by my second set of squats this morning, and that was at 7:00. Bill's right, it gets distracting. And my dumb ass never thought to just make it a 3-shirt day, like the man says.

Great picture, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
    Really like the picture featured with the article. Would love to see more.
    I agree whole heartedly with this. It would be great to see more photos of this era of real strength training.

Nice read. I do my lifting in an air conditioned gym, but grapple in a crowded, windowless, non-AC internal room; it gets like a sauna sometimes. I've seen people get hypoxic and disoriented on the mat. This seems like a good article to circulate.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post
    ... It would be great to see more photos of this era of real strength training.
    The 90's?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast