starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warmup Set calculator (iPhone-friendly)

Default Warmup Set calculator (iPhone-friendly)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I made this simple warmup set calculator to save myself from the horrors of doing math at the gym - now I can just cheat and use my iPhone. Should work w/ most browsers. Figured some folks here might find it useful too:

http://corw.in/warmup/

It calculates the weight for each set, and also tells you which plates you'll need for each end of the barbell. It's built following the examples on p. 292 of SS2: two sets of 5 with the empty bar (or a weight of your choosing, mainly for deadlifts), then sets of 5, 3, and 2 in even increments up to the work set.

There are settings to change weight of the bar, the plates you have at your disposal, and whether or not it automatically rounds to your smallest plate. If you bookmark the page after you choose your settings, they'll persist with the bookmark.

Enjoy, and feel free to post feedback if you've got it.

Keith

Awesome, works perfect. Hopefully it will work when I switch over to Blackberry.

Thumbs up

Works with my Droid. Just switched from an iPhone. You feel like developing an app for us?

Nice, glad it's working for you guys.

As for a full app, I dunno - that's a much bigger project. I'm mostly happy with GymBuddy (iPhone) to log my progress - a little annoying to switch between that and the warmup calc, but not too terrible. Curious - are there are any "killer features" you envision for a full Starting Strength app?

I used istayfit on my iPhone. Less than ideal and a little expensive but it has target weights and sets so you could fill it out beforehand. I was joking about a full app. I know how involved that is (and expensive) An automatic progression in weight for each exercise would be great. Maybe an option for a reset. If you could add your stuff to this calculator and build an app around it I think it'd be perfect
    scribd .com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator

I had a dream about your calculator. In it, I had my barbell on the floor in my room and planned on deadlifting. I wanted to warm up before I started my worksets so I tried to find the calculator. Except Rip had decided to buy it and charge money for it so I couldn't get it. I was frustrated and didn't know what to do, I felt like I couldn't train until I found it.

Cool story, huh bro?

Personally, I would be willing to pay a couple bucks if you could come up with a calculator that will give me my target 5/3/1 weight.
    Last edited by Regin Smidur; 08-23-2010 at 12:36 PM.

thats pretty cool, how would I get it on my iphone?

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    thats pretty cool, how would I get it on my iphone?
    Thanks. It's not a real app or anything, so nothing to install. Just open up Safari and type "corw.in/warmup" as the address. Should come right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    I had a dream about your calculator. In it, I had my barbell on the floor in my room and planned on deadlifting. I wanted to warm up before I started my worksets so I tried to find the calculator. Except Rip had decided to buy it and charge money for it so I couldn't get it. I was frustrated and didn't know what to do, I felt like I couldn't train until I found it.

Cool story, huh bro?

Personally, I would be willing to pay a couple bucks if you could come up with a calculator that will give me my target 5/3/1 weight.
    Damn. I think I consider this a success if people are having dreams about it. Interesting thought re: 5/3/1. I've only been thinking of the SS program since that's what I'm doing, but would be cool to have an app that did various necessary math for a variety of programs.

Quote Originally Posted by 48Dodge View Post
    I used istayfit on my iPhone. Less than ideal and a little expensive but it has target weights and sets so you could fill it out beforehand. I was joking about a full app. I know how involved that is (and expensive) An automatic progression in weight for each exercise would be great. Maybe an option for a reset. If you could add your stuff to this calculator and build an app around it I think it'd be perfect
    scribd .com/doc/3382978/Starting-Strength-Logbook-Calculator
    Good ideas. The page is definitely bare-bones, and kinda makes no sense on its own unless you know the context behind it. Would be cool to have it keep track of progression.

I don't really believe that much in hard percentages for warmups - but that's still a pretty nifty little calculator. Handy for finding your ramping weights if you're doing a Bill Starr inspired programme. And very nice with the "plates" thingy. I cant count the times that I've fucked up on that, either burying myself, or lifting too light.
    Last edited by DV; 08-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for the time you spent making this little calculator. I have tried it out, and I plan to use it today in the gym. One thing I'd like to bring up though. I use kg instead of lbs, so I changed the weights and the plates to reflect that (20 bar, 20, 15, 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25 plates). I also use the rounding option, which is the only way this works in that setting. Everything is fine until the work set. It will show proper plates for all the warm up sets. But say I put in 72.5 as my workset. It will say:
    5 x 20,
    5 x 20,
    5 x 32.5 (5, 1.25 plates)
    3 x45 (10, 2.5 plates)
    2 x 60 (20 plates)
    5 x 72 (no plates shown)

So, it just rounds off the work set (which I don't want it to do). Plus, it doesn't show the plates for the work set.

Was this intentional and I'm just missing something?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast