starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan John

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Another excellent interview. Really looking forward to the rest. I can't tell you how much I look forward to these. Once again, thanks for spending the time, effort, and money to make these possible.

You could start a comedy series with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I am not interested in talking to the people who have watered down strength coaching with therapy, and there will be many thousands of other coaches and athletes with whom we discuss the way to get stronger before we talk to any of these people about Swiss balls and lunges with 3 lb. dumbbells.
    I'm glad to hear it, there's lots of other people you can talk to first and have more productive conversations.

Today I was told, "Don't give deep squats to beginners, that's not the industry standard, one or two programmes down the track you can increase the range of motion." This was, by the way, not even a barbell deep squat, merely a goblet squat with the person's own bodyweight...

A Rip interview with such a person would be a short one, I think.

Sorry to comment on the discussions vs. the interview, but in my humble opinion...

I agree that it would be interesting to hear an interview with Boyle or others with opposing thoughts. I don't necessarily think that you would find more similarities than differences as another poster stated, but so far the interviews have been with those that share your opinions. Though they have been good, it would be nice to hear a polite and constructive discussion with someone that approaches training with a different viewpoint. Boyle, Mark Verstegen, Al Vermeil, or some other performance coach would offer a unique opportunity to hear two experienced coaches exchange opinions face to face instead of reading verbal spats from each individual or their respective followers.

Maybe this approach is beyond the scope of the series, which is understandable and I won't complain. I realize there are schedules and expenses to consider, not to mention the willingness of invited guests. However, it would be educational to everyone to hear a civil debate over various approaches to strength training.

All of that said, I really do appreciate the information on this site and the interviews that you conduct. Don't take my comments as simple nagging. They are merely suggestions from one person to make the site even better than it already is.

Duane

Great interview.

I have a question Rip, when the discussion of rep numbers comes up and you say that nobody does sets for 4 reps, why is that? Is it this simply for historical reasons, or is there an actual physiological reason that sets of 4 reps are almost never done.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    I agree that it would be interesting to hear an interview with Boyle or others with opposing thoughts. I don't necessarily think that you would find more similarities than differences as another poster stated, but so far the interviews have been with those that share your opinions. Though they have been good, it would be nice to hear a polite and constructive discussion with someone that approaches training with a different viewpoint. Boyle, Mark Verstegen, Al Vermeil, or some other performance coach would offer a unique opportunity to hear two experienced coaches exchange opinions face to face instead of reading verbal spats from each individual or their respective followers.
    It would, in fact, be an interesting discussion. When they decide that it would be interesting enough to pay for, we'll have that discussion. But not on my nickel, because nothing constructive will occur. You already have all the info you need to decide who's full of shit without somebody tying up almost $1k helping you out a little more.

And we don't do sets of 4 because 4s are stupid. It's just that simple.

The multiple variations of Sheiko and Smolov have sets of 4 at various places.

The basic Sheiko, which has worked very well for me, has 80% for 6x3, 6x4, 6x5, 6x6, then with increasing weight 5x5, 4x4, 3x3, 2x2, then meet and reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It would, in fact, be an interesting discussion. When they decide that it would be interesting enough to pay for, we'll have that discussion. But not on my nickel, because nothing constructive will occur. You already have all the info you need to decide who's full of shit without somebody tying up almost $1k helping you out a little more.
    Expenses are completely understandable. Too bad a media outlet like Versus couldn't host a 2-hour roundtable special on training athletes. (I know I'm dreaming, but The Daily Line, really? Would ratings really drop that much?)

I greatly respected your restraint when Dan mentioned Mike Boyle and Gray Cook. You had a perfect lead to divert the interview but stayed with Dan as any other class act would.

Also, I feel I owe an apology to Al Vermeil. I lumped him in because we has worked with pro athletes, but his success is second to none and I really don't know much about his methods so his name should not have been mentioned.

Default Lance Boyle

I'd interview him. Right after he puts 60lbs on somebody in twelve weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    The multiple variations of Sheiko and Smolov have sets of 4 at various places.

The basic Sheiko, which has worked very well for me, has 80% for 6x3, 6x4, 6x5, 6x6, then with increasing weight 5x5, 4x4, 3x3, 2x2, then meet and reset.
    Excellent. Now, make yourself useful and send me some decent sild. Can't get it here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast