• starting strength seminar october 2024
    First off, Stats:
    BW:164 lbs
    Been lifting for: 7 months, doing SS
    Squat: 200 lbs
    Bench: 110 lbs
    Dead: 215 lbs
    Military: 80 lbs

Hey everybody, over the past 6 weeks I've been building back up to where I was before a 1 month hiatus from working out. Nearly all my numbers are back to where they were, but the last couple workouts have been awful. On the very last one, I simply said screw it and went home because I failed on warmups in squat and military press. I don't think my warmup structure is to blame, though. For squats and military press, an example would be:

45lbs 2x5, 95lbs 1x5, 145lbs 1x4, 185lbs 1x1, 200lbs 3x5 <--work sets
    45lbs 1x5, 65lbs 1x3, 80lbs 3x5 <--work sets

My sleep has admittedly been less than optimal (read:shitty) for the past 2 weeks, but I'm working on it. Diet is good, have gained about 1lb a week for the past 6. Eggs, cottage cheese, cheeseburgers, and milk are the basics of it.

Should I deload all my lifts a bit and resume linear progress from there?
    Last edited by dunedain; 10-17-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedain View Post
    Diet is good, have gained about 1lb a week for the past 6. Eggs, cottage cheese, cheeseburgers, and milk are the basics of it.
    Yes, but how MUCH are you eating?

You have 30ish lbs on me yet my lifts are all equal to or slightly greater than yours (and steadily climbing). I've only been on SS for 1.5 months after losing 15 lbs (most of which was muscle) during basic training. If, after 7 months of SS, you are stuck at a 200lb squat, you are doing something wrong. My guess is that you just aren't eating enough.

Quote Originally Posted by usafa407 View Post
    Yes, but how MUCH are you eating?
    Enough to gain a pound a week. Is that not enough to maintain linear progress on SS? Average day is something like this: 1/2-3/4 gal milk, ~2-3 cups cottage cheese, 4+ eggs, 2 double cheeseburgers. I eat til I feel nauseous at every meal.

Get your sleep in order. Sometimes you'll have a bad workout -- just try again next time. If you've addressed diet and recovery and have several bad workouts in a row, do a slight deload and continue. It's hard to imagine how you could be at those numbers and stalling after 7 months of SS without doing something weird/wrong. How tall are you?

How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    How tall are you?
    I'm 5' 10/11", not entirely sure on the inches part.

So, I'm getting the feeling that I've not done the prescribed program? Here's what I did:

I started out at:
    BW: 145lbs
    Squat: 85lbs
    Bench: 45lbs
    Dead:85lbs
    Military:45lbs
    Power Cleans: 45lbs

In the past 7 months, I've gained 20 lbs and more or less doubled all my lifts save military press.

If you are really interested in getting strong, you'll have to gain about 40 more pounds.

Diet is good, have gained about 1lb a week for the past 6.
    Go for 1.5 or 2 lbs/week. 1 lb/week is not enough at this stage of your linear progression, plus I think it's clear that 1 lb/week is not being enough to sustain your workouts. At 164 lbs your still have quite a bit of room to grow too. I can assure you can eat more, it you are feeling nauseous maybe you should reconsider your diet's organization rather than your food choice. You could go for a whole gallon of milk (I'm assuming it's whole), adding a shitload of butter or bacon to your eggs, buying some protein powder, there is a lot of stuff you could try really.

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post
    If you are really interested in getting strong, you'll have to gain about 40 more pounds.
    Over what time span? I have every intention of getting myself to 200lbs+. It sounds like you're saying 1lb a week is insufficient?

Edit:nvm, question was answered.

I did just order some protein powder, in fact. Unfortunately, whole milk is out of the question as I'm a poor college student, the milk I do get is 2% and through the meal plan.

Thanks for all the help!
    Last edited by dunedain; 10-17-2010 at 11:47 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm 5' 10/11", not entirely sure on the inches part.

So, I'm getting the feeling that I've not done the prescribed program? Here's what I did:

I started out at:
    BW: 145lbs
    Squat: 85lbs
    Bench: 45lbs
    Dead:85lbs
    Military:45lbs
    Power Cleans: 45lbs

In the past 7 months, I've gained 20 lbs and more or less doubled all my lifts save military press.
    Yes, you haven't done the program, 20 pounds is not enough for 7 months. In the same time frame I have gained about 50 pounds and my lifts have increased a lot more.

Over what time span? I have every intention of getting myself to 200lbs+. It sounds like you're saying 1lb a week is insufficient?

Edit:nvm, question was answered.

I did just order some protein powder, in fact. Unfortunately, whole milk is out of the question as I'm a poor college student, the milk I do get is 2% and through the meal plan.

Thanks for all the help!
    Could you buy some cream and add it to your milk? Do you have access to ice cream in you cafeteria? you could make yourself a milk shake if so. If you eat in a cafeteria, you probably can eat all you want, right? eat a shitload of meat. Get a whole plate of meat and the rest eat whatever you want.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 10-17-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast