starting strength gym

Thread: advantages to sets across vs ramping sets

Default advantages to sets across vs ramping sets

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've seen where in most of Bill Starr's routines he seems to advocate ramping sets where Rip advocates sets across. Is there any real benefit to ramping sets? To me sets across would seem to be better overall for a mix of size and strength

Personally, I find ramping sets better for building limit strength and preventing accumulated fatigue. While sets across are good for building strength endurance.

This can be useful when you aren't trying to put on a large amount of body weight... For example, I built my squat up to 315 for 3x5 with SS linear progression but also gained a lot of body weight/fat. Now I am 20lbs lighter and have finally worked up to 315, but not with sets across.

Find what works well for you and work with it.

I agree with raleigh. Sets across is very tough on the body, and its also a favourable approach to hypertrophy.

You'll notice that if you have finished your LP and start texas method, how much sets across can take out of you. You may be able to squat a weight for 5x5 on the monday, but if you go too heavy it can ruin your training for 2 weeks.

I think rip chose it specifically as SS it aimed at novices, and it seems the best way to do as much near limit volume as possible, exploiting the recovery abilities of the novice, while also helping them pack on some quality mass.

To echo this a bit...

I think a lot of people don't realize that SS is for beginners... Where the weight being trained with is not causing a significant amount of stress and/or the trainee is in a position to gain/maintain a significant amount of bodyweight relative to his height.

For example, for weight class athletes who are trying to maintain a specific body weight (especially if it's relatively low compared to their height) using sets across may not be as productive as focusing on ramping to a high intensity. Where as a skinny kid who needs to gain 50+ pounds can cruise for awhile with LP and sets across.

With that said, the sets across really depend on the intensity being used. Training with high intensity weights, with sets across is going to generate a significant amount of accumulated fatigue. Intelligently programming ramped sets will allow you to hit heavier weights with less recovery required.

I've been drinking a little, so hopefully this makes sense.

The vast majority of people are beginners. Including the majority of people who have been lifting for multiple years.