starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have some questions

Default I have some questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First of all,my name is Anton and im 14 years old,from Israel.
    I heard that SS is the best training program for beginners,so i started with it.
    After 3 month(Aug- 1Novebmer) and from 58kgs,i became 75+-,
    But i ate too much(4000kl) so i didnt gain too much muscels,but alot of fat..
    Anyway now im losing my fat and will start the program again(i will not eat too much at the beginning).
    My Weight:
    Squat 100kg for 5
    Deadlift 120 for 5
    Bench Press 47.5 for 5
    Press 35 for 5
    Bent over row(i dont know how to do a powerclean) : 47.5 for 5

I dont know why i didnt make progress in Bench and Press but i hope i will do it soon..

My qestions:
    1)How much i should eat? Someone told me to eat RMR+500 in first month, RMR+1000 in the second and then how much ill need.
    2)I will be very happy if you will check my deadlit and my squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPGg7ZyjGz0
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pvzed1#p/u/4/r22PBJAgrYc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5U--_Vy0M
    that the videos i have for squat
    3)If i will start SS again with this weights,in how much cm i can increase my hand scope(now its 33-34)..?What is the chances that its will be 38?

Sorry for my poor English and thank you very much for writing this book!
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 12-02-2010 at 03:07 PM.

It's great that you read the book, but to improve on the quality of your form in all the lifts you should get yourself the SS DVD and watch it very closely. Learn the TECHNIQUE mentally, then practice it with the barbell.

See it done right.
    Think it done right.
    Do it right.

Your hips are too low on the deads.

You are breaking the hips before the knees. Fix those things and I can't see anything else wrong with your squats or deads.

Since you are having some problems with bench and press, it would make sense to post videos of them.

ty.
    i have another question...
    Im 15% fat now and i cant do even 1 chinup(maybe 1 i can..)
    I though that i have no reason to continue losing fat,and just start SS again(because i dont have too much muscles..)until i will be 20% again and will look better when i will get to 15% again..
    But the problem is that i want to do more chinups,and i dont know how i can improve it..do you know how?I dont know to do PC so i did Bent Over Row,but i thought that its will be better to do chinups,first with body wight and then with wieght..

what do you think and sorry again for bad english?

Just do negative chinups, at least that's what I do. Like just jump up to the bar and then lower yourself slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by anton View Post
    ty.
    i have another question...
    Im 15% fat now and i cant do even 1 chinup(maybe 1 i can..)
    I though that i have no reason to continue losing fat,and just start SS again(because i dont have too much muscles..)until i will be 20% again and will look better when i will get to 15% again..
    But the problem is that i want to do more chinups,and i dont know how i can improve it..do you know how?I dont know to do PC so i did Bent Over Row,but i thought that its will be better to do chinups,first with body wight and then with wieght..

what do you think and sorry again for bad english?
    This is why it's important to read The Book. This is covered in The Book.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 12-04-2010 at 09:10 AM.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

Pull ups arent hard to improve, you just need to practice them. A lot. It also helps if you "grease the groove" between actual workouts. see more info here:http://board.crossfit.com/archive/index.php/t-4352.htm
    Just don't go over board. You don't need to wear your back out on Pull ups all week long and then have crappy form for deadlifts. Negative pull ups will also leave you very very sore so proceed with caution and start slow. A couple extra here and there between workouts will help you tremendously in just a few weeks.

hope this helps.

Your English is pretty damn good. No need to apologize for it. I cannot speak Hebrew to save my life. You need to keep in mind that you are 14 years old. This is somewhat younger than Rippetoe's target audience. Starting Strength and the big eating that accompanies it was developed for young males (18-35). If you are not part of that demographic, the program must be adapted. Progress with the weights is going to be slower and less calories will be required. At 14, you do not yet have the hormonal profile that someone two or four years older has. That doesn't mean that you cannot train and make improvements. It just means that you need to keep these things in mind and be patient and make smaller jumps in weight.

Despite the fact that you have a few minor issues with squat and deadlift form, you move well. You have a good grasp of the fundamentals. You actually squat to the proper depth and don't round your back on the deadlift. Go through the steps for a proper deadlift setup in the book to clean up your starting position. You will start with a slightly more horizontal back and you should not be looking forward/up quite as much. For the squat, if you bend the hips and the knees at the same time and look down, you will be performing a textbook squat.

Also, you are not fat. Not even close to it. There are number of ways to get your pullups stronger. All of them involve working on pullups more frequently. Pushups can be used as an assistance exercise for pullups, too. Google can help you with this. Be reasonable about volume. Don't go from doing one pullup every few days to doing 20 a day. You may want to work on a few negatives every day, or try and get a single pullup a few times throughout each day. As that gets easier, start adding repetitions.

Lastly, you are 14 and you can squat 100 kg and deadlift 120 kg. That is awesome. I couldn't touch those numbers at your age. I had no idea what a squat was at that point in my life. There are many people on this board who cannot lift nearly as much as you do, yet are older. Be proud of your accomplishments. Listen to your body and train intelligently and you will be monstrously strong by the time you are 18. Be patient, pay attention to lifting correctly eat well, and enjoy your training. You've done very well so far.

If you haven't read this, you should:

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf

starting strength coach development program
    Listen to TomC!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast