starting strength gym

Thread: My First Search for the X-Factor: York Barbell

Default My First Search for the X-Factor: York Barbell

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Jim Moser

I had been Olympic Weightlifting about three years when I got the idea to drive to York Barbell to see if I could find what Tommy Suggs so rightly refers to as the X-Factor. I had heard all the legendary stories about the York Gym from my coach, mentor, and friend Bill Starr...

Article

Resources Page

Just sitting down with my coffee, 1/2 hour before gym time. Looking for something to read, thanks!

Default Very nice

That was a great read -- and perfect for the season. Merry Christmas, to you, too, Mr. Moser.

That was cool, might make a neat short film.

Sorta like "Field of Dreams" for Iron slingers. Nice story Mr Moser. If we lift, the muscles will come ...

Here's a link to some pics I took of the old gyms passing through York last summer.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jjreynol...kBarbellCoGyms
    Last edited by johnreynolds; 12-22-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Default Eastern Labs

In the one picture you mention the Hoffman Lab to the side of the building. It was actually called Eastern Labs. I found a file folder which had the makings of an advertising campaign in which Hoffman said all his products were independently tested by Eastern Labs. I guess they forgot to mention that Eastern Labs was owned by Hoffman. I walked through the lab a couple times. It looked like at some point it was an actual working lab as it was loaded with equipment. Everything was extremely dusty and cob webs were everywhere. Looked like something straight out of a horror movie. Thank you for posting the photo's, they brought back some great memories.

Aloha'
    Jim

starting strength coach development program
    Glad you enjoyed the pics Jim. As far as the Lab testing, Bob was known to stretch the truth now and then.
    When I was passing through York a few years ago I planned on looking for the old gym on Broad St. I knew it was on Braod St but not the exact address. Due to my usual lack of preparation I never looked up the address, naively assuming there would be historic markers in front, being it was one of the most famous gyms in the country. As I was riding up and down Broad St I didn't seeing any signs so I stopped and asked some locals where the famous original York gym was located. Nobody knew what I was talking about. Being the neighborhood didn't look all that nice anymore I decided to get the hell outta Dodge. Time moves on.

John