starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Platform: Coaching the Clean & Jerk with Tommy Suggs

Default Platform: Coaching the Clean & Jerk with Tommy Suggs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Watch it here

Great stuff, I love watching good coaching, and hearing the stories. What struck me was that watching it, you wouldn't know if Suggs and Rip were being paid to coach or just doing it for free.

Strong kid, great attitude, I'm sure he'll go far.

Awesome video! Loved it. Can you post one of these everyday? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    What struck me was that watching it, you wouldn't know if Suggs and Rip were being paid to coach or just doing it for free.
    This ONE time, we comped him.

this is awesome, thanks for putting these video's up, these are incredible helpful!

Cool

thank you to all involved.

How old is Tom?

About 21, I think.

Thanks so much for these videos - they're incredibly helpful, and even if I have a pretty good understanding of the movements, I always learn something new.

Default Interaction With The Athlete

starting strength coach development program
    Great video Tommy and Rip. A couple things that I noticed that are worth mentioning.

1. The interaction with the lifter was great. In our society dictatorship coaching does not work. You have to involve the athlete, 95% of the battle is getting the athlete to buy into your coaching methods. One of the best ways to do this is to involve the athlete in the process. The do it my way or the highway approach does not work. A perfect example of this was the coaching stlye used at the OTC last quad.

2. As the weights get heavy the savvy coach does less coaching and more motivating. You have at the most 3 to 4 warmup sets to make coaching corrections after that the less cues the better. As the weights get heavier the coaches main job is that of a motivator. A heavy clean happens in a split second there is very little time for thinking, you want your athlete reacting. Nobody has ever set a world record by thinking the weight overhead. When the weights get heavy your body will know what to do and you will either make or miss the weight. Can you imagine trying to hit a 90 mile an hour fast ball with a coach yelling out the mechanics of hitting when the batter is at the plate. The experienced coach wants his athlete thinking of one thing, making the lift. I really liked when Rip kept repeating to the athlete, "Do what you have to do to make the weight". It is much easier to move your body where the weight is, then to move the weight to where your body goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast