starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throwing the shot and bench press progression

Default Throwing the shot and bench press progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey I just recently started off SS last week and it was going fine until my bench stalled yesterday at 140 lbs. I also threw the shotput the previous day. Is it possible that the shot stalled my progress on the bench?

If it does, is there anyway around this so that I can throw the shot without disrupting progress?

Yeah, a hard throwing session could definitely fatigue the muscles and affect bench the next day.

Schedule them so you don't put your main bench day on the day after shotput. The day before? But note that bench will affect throwing. Two days before?

You stalled after one week? Are you eating enough?

Clarifying some terminology: you didn't stall, you failed. Stalling is when you fail several workouts in a row at the same weight.

hbriem pretty much covered what's going on here. You didn't cover what your previous weight was. If your previous bench was 130, you made a silly mistake. If 135, that might be okay.

Anyway, there are a couple things that might happen:
    1. You get used to benching the day after throwing shot and things pick up again.
    2. You change things so that you bench before throwing shot. This will probably have a short-term negative effect on your shot throwing performance, but a long term plus. Recovery might be an issue, as your next workout comes after two days of training.
    3. You change things so you bench and throw shot on the same day. Might make for a long day.

Since you're only benching 140, you shouldn't be having trouble yet, so hit the weight again, eat a lot, and throw heavy things. Gotta say, though, if you're only benching 140, your shot performance probably isn't awesome yet, either, so you might want to compromise it in the short-term unless doing so would get you kicked off the team or something. Training is training, competition is competition, so training results aren't always the most important...

All right thanks. Will discus also affect my bench? And will throwing both of these effect my standing press?

Quote Originally Posted by Pho View Post
    All right thanks. Will discus also affect my bench? And will throwing both of these effect my standing press?
    Yes. Just keep benching and throwing, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pho View Post
    Highly doubt that either shot or disc will impede your benching - same for the opposite.

I lift heavy on Monday, throw heavy on Tuesday, lift heavy on Wednesday. I'm fine with it. I also sprint, bound, hop, jump and do med ball work in my throwing sessions now, still haven't seen any negative impact.

I recently got a PR of 12.5m with the 5kg shot and had my most consistent high results with the 5kg on Tuesday, as I bombed it past 11m over 6 times (maybe more, but only just). That was the day after I benched 85kgx4 and incline benched 70kgx1.

Shot put would be far more interesting if competitors lined up at opposite ends of the field.

Discus even more so.

Willhu... to be fair, I think we can all see that if you were not throwing shot you'd have progressed further in the weight room (not saying you're doing poorly or are weak, just that you'd be better off). There is an affect and certainly a heavy shot session would affect the next day's bench. Especially if there was some lack of sleep or lack of gluttany.

OP, what weight did you start SS bench at and how much are you progressing each session? Have you gained weight since you started?

I started off the bench at 130 last monday. 135 the coming Friday, then I failed at 140 just yesterday.

How should I schedule so that I get the most out of my training sessions? We have practice Mon-Thurs and we alternate shot and discus days.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Willhu... to be fair, I think we can all see that if you were not throwing shot you'd have progressed further in the weight room (not saying you're doing poorly or are weak, just that you'd be better off). There is an affect and certainly a heavy shot session would affect the next day's bench. Especially if there was some lack of sleep or lack of gluttany.
    I don't see where you're coming from? Just doesn't seem logical bro.
    LIFTS (all for reps):
    140kg squat for 4
    85kg bench for 4
    75kg incline for 1
    70kg clean and jerk for 2
    50kg snatch for 2
    70kg push press for 2
    56kg dumbell bench for 8

plus heavy assistance lifts (all for 8) and ab work (for 8)

shot throws are going past 12m now by the way/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast