starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training in Cold Weather

Default Training in Cold Weather

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Bill Starr

”[O]f all the places I trained in during extremely cold weather, the most memorable were the winters at Fielder’s Shed. There was no insulation and no heat… I can recall one workout right around Christmas time, and I was the only fool stupid enough train. It was bitter cold, 17º F with wind chill in the single digits. I could easily have bailed, but I didn’t, and I ended up getting in a very productive session.”

Article

Resources Page

Very interesting article, very interesting topics brought... Only one question on my mind not brought in the article, Does an icy cold shower after the workout help in muscle recovery ? Or it's only during the workout that temperature has it's effect ?

Thanks.

And I can still see him going through
    a set of cleans and snatches with steam coming off his entire body. He appeared to be some mystical
    creature performing an ancient ritual.
    Classic! haha

Excellent article. As someone who lifts in his unheated shed, the advice is very useful.

Reading it, I realize I've been particularly bad about hydration.

Great read. Quite coincidentally I was speaking to a co-worker earlier today about you. He married one of the Fielder girls and was telling me today of having Sam invite him to train in the barn. He also talked of how he saw George Hechter train in the barn, doing deadlifts with so much weight the bar bowed to the extreme and he thought George's feet were going to bust through the floor, LOL. Keep up the great work, I love to read your writing.

Fantastic. Once again, Starrman has come through...now if he could only get Brett Crossland to finish a soft shell crab.....

There are moments of clarity, something like Abraham Maslow's Peak Experience, in the wisdom and insight imparted by you Mr. Starr; into the more mundane aspects of training we take for granted.

[rant]
    You're a true pioneer and hero; and in this nation, hell, in the world as we know it, the hero is in short supply. Lady gaga is not real, justin beibler is not real; only worshiped by mindless vassals.

"They look up to some twit instead of looking up to Thomas Jefferson, or Nikola Tesla, or Magellan. I mean, kids! Magellan's alot cooler than justin biebler! He circumnavigated -- with one ship -- the entire planet. He was killed by wild natives before they got back to Portugal. When they got back there were only like, eleven people alive, of the two-hundred and somethin' crew, and the entire ship was rotting down to the water line! That's destiny, that's will, that's striving! That's being a trailblazer and explorer!"

Default Fielders Shed

Rip, I am not sure this is posted in the right place.

I thought this photo might add a good touch to Bill Starr's latest article. This is Fielders Shed after major renovations were done, about a year after I trained that miserable night with Bill Starr. A platform was added (3 sheets of plywood), art work added to walls (No Pain No Gain), state of the art cardio equipment (see the bike in the corner), modern lighting and three rafters had insulation put in (to hold in the heating from the modern light fixture).

Fielders Shed.jpg

Aloha,
    Jim Moser
    Last edited by Gymmoser; 03-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Loved this article, especially the insights to supplement consumption. I did not realize the following:

"One of the things that most who train with weights do not understand is that the need for taking certain supplements is just as high in cold weather as it is when you end up a session sweating like a pig."

Default gripping bar at 17F?

starting strength coach development program
    Great read, but training with an iron bar att a temperature at 17 F. That would be well below minus 0 C? Without gloves?

I recall squatting in my garage at about 4 C (39 F) once when the heating was accidentially off, but that is the limit for me because the bar is very very cold already at that temperature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast