starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing a car

Default Pushing a car

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone.

I really want to start pushing a car to add some more and exciting conditioning work. Ideally, I would use a prowler but I don't have access to one.

I have a few question about this type of training.

When you push a car, do you just do it like you would if it were a prowler? With your arms locked out on front of you? Or with one of your shoulders against the car? Or perhaps this is just a real case of overthinking.

And would this severly affect recovery when done on "rest days"? My other alternative is plain old running.

I apologies if this is covered before, but I couldn't find it. Help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Kje_simen; 05-13-2011 at 11:08 AM.

same as a prowler - arms out. Be careful you do it on a sturdy part of the car. You don't want to dent it.

Since you are asking pretty basic questions I feel obligated to also mention you should have someone else with you to steer and brake the car.

Maybe the car is on a farm, and the only thing he has to worry about hitting is a cow.

Thanks Mike. Did a workout with 30 seconds intervals and it was hard as fuck. And yes Paul, my dad was steering.

The reason I asked these basic questions is that some guy on another forum said that you always should push the car by keeping one shoulder against it, and therefor kinda push sideways. Worked much better the prowler-way.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Since you are asking pretty basic questions I feel obligated to also mention you should have someone else with you to steer and brake the car.
    Do you leave the car running and in nuetral?

Just messing with you. I love pushing my truck around. The lot where I used to do it had a slight inlince in one spot that I always set up to be at the end of my pushes, made them a real ball buster.

Pushing a car uphill, even if it's just a slight incline, is a serious battle for every fucking inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kje_simen View Post
    Thanks Mike. Did a workout with 30 seconds intervals and it was hard as fuck. And yes Paul, my dad was steering.

The reason I asked these basic questions is that some guy on another forum said that you always should push the car by keeping one shoulder against it, and therefor kinda push sideways. Worked much better the prowler-way.
    I don't think I would ever push a car with my shoulder unless there was something wrong with my hands. It sounds like a prescription for injury.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kje_simen View Post
    Pushing a car uphill, even if it's just a slight incline, is a serious battle for every fucking inch.
    that's how i roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast