starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Bulgarian Method of Training Olympic Weightlifters

Default The Bulgarian Method of Training Olympic Weightlifters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Jim Moser

"For those of you who are not familiar with the Bulgarian system of training, it was developed by the famous Bulgarian weightlifting coach Ivan Abadjiev. It was based on the premise that if you subject the body to a constant load of heavy stress composed of steady repetitive explosive movements, it would adjust to this load and adapt to handle the increased stress."

Article

Resources Page

Jim, fantastic article! Can't wait to meet you in Seattle and hear some great stories. I absolutely love weightlifting history. Any places you would suggest to go and read more stories like this?

Thank you, Matt. I am looking forward to meeting you also. I have read some of your posts on this forum and it is obvious to me you have a wealth of knowledge to share also. It will be fun swapping stories. Unfortunately there is not a lot or enough of the classic stories out there. Hopefully Rip will continue to allow me to share some of the classic strength game stories here. I hope everyone appreciates the efforts of Rip as he is committed to not letting the history of weightlifting die. It is a very unselfish act on his part. A lot of people think weightlifting was invented in 1990, too bad for them.

Thanks again for the kind words and I am really happy you enjoyed the article.

Aloha'
    Jim

Excellent article. During 2009-2011, I coached an elite powerlifter named Eric Talmant who applied Abadjiev's ideas to PL after previously using Sheiko programming. Eric trained three days a week in 6-7 week blocks consisting of "moderate loading," "average loading," and "super loading" phases. These ideas were based on "The Preparation of Bulgarian Weightlifters for the 1980 Olympics."

Another key element was competing frequently. Eric based this on Abadjiev's conclusion in "Competitions As an Integral Part of the Training Cycle ": "...a general rule could be suggested that the muscle tissue of highest quality will be built during muscle efforts at important competitions. In other words, the competitions prove to be the best training sessions."

Hello Jim, nice article! The Bulgarian method of training is something I've had an interest in for some time. I live in Hilo, Hawaii (on an off between Honolulu), and I'm thinking about dropping by your gym for a visit. Could you please post some information about your gym for me and anyone else interested? Anyone else from Hawaii reading this?

Aloha,

Mike

Amazing article. Any invocation of the Globe Trotters to make me feel lazy gets an A+ in my book. Very interesting, novel stuff. Thanks!

Default Frequent Competitions

Yes exactly. Thank you for the kind words I am glad you enjoyed the article.

When my son was with Abadjiev they had controlled competitions what seemed like every Friday. They would go to another place to train and they would have special guests watch them lift. Abadjiev always wanted them to go for records in the snatch and c&j on those days. The one contest I went to when Abadjiev was there he was a nervous wreck. He was far more nervous then the athletes. Abadjiev carried smelling salts with him and I thought it was for the lifters, nope it was for him. The passion the man has got for the sport is very hard to describe. I have never seen anything like it and would not know how to begin to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Liao View Post
    Hello Jim, nice article! The Bulgarian method of training is something I've had an interest in for some time. I live in Hilo, Hawaii (on an off between Honolulu), and I'm thinking about dropping by your gym for a visit. Could you please post some information about your gym for me and anyone else interested? Anyone else from Hawaii reading this?

Aloha,

Mike
    Thank you for the kind words Mike and I am glad you liked the article. Let me know when you want to come over we would love to have you visit and train. Saturday mornings 10:30am at our club in Kihei is the best time to train with us. I usually have some kids from the Queen Emma Weightlifting Club that train with us on Saturday mornings, also. There is no charge for the Olympic weightlifitng classes, drop me an e-mail gymmoser@yahoo.com and give me a heads up when you want to come over.

Prior to going on a training hiatus (life etc.), my coach trained me in a primarily Russian style - lots of pulls, squats, and partial movements. One day a week, however, usually on a Saturday, we would have "Bulgarian Day." It was the classic structure - front squat to a heavy single or double, rest 30 minutes, repeat with snatch & C&J. In the afternoon I'd come back and we'd do it again. These days were brutal, but I loved them. Unfortunately I'm 30 now, and while I'd love to train this way (when I do get back to it), I know the circumstances of married, working life simply won't allow for it.

Thanks for a great article - there are too many sites out there that misrepresent the Bulgarian training method, and I've had too many people tell me the Bulgarians could only do it thanks to the use of "restoratives." I keep a close eye on John Broz and his lifters in the hopes that USAW might actually listen to someone other than their own inner circle.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant_81 View Post
    Thanks for a great article - there are too many sites out there that misrepresent the Bulgarian training method, and I've had too many people tell me the Bulgarians could only do it thanks to the use of "restoratives."
    I suppose you could argue that it's "possible" to train this way without drugs, but it certainly wouldn't work as well as it did/does for the Bulgarians. You don't even have to go back very far to find stuff like this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=3463251

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast