starting strength gym

Thread: Chins throughout the day

Default Chins throughout the day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    There's been some talk about doing chinups throughout the day along with doing the program. Anyone have any experience with this? Does it mess with recovery? Does it give you TEH GUNZ? Ape-like strength?!

Right now I have weighted chins subbing power cleans on the SS program, and I dont give a damn if thats wrong cause they feel so good. Would doing chinups throughout the day, not to failure, be beneficial to increasing my weights? If I do incorporate them, should I only do them on workout days, recovery days, everyday, while I sleep, everytime I go to piss, or do one set of 10 per beer I consume on the weekend? ..that last one is impossible, but you get the drift.

I think the sheer frequency would provide noticeable improvements in chin-up strength/endurance, and if I had a chin-up bar I'd probably do it too

But that's only because I find starting strength isn't difficult for me (yet)
    Last edited by aa7; 07-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.

I did frequency method body weight chins for roughly 6 weeks. It worked great, got my weighted chin numbers to jump up really quickly and helped my grip. I'd still be doing it if I had access to a chin bar all day long.

The key is that it should not be hard. If its hard then yes, it will mess with your recovery. If you do easy sets spaced throughout the day and you are getting your sleeping/eating in you will be fine. I can do 15+ chins, maybe 20+ when very well rested, and I never went higher than 7 or 8 reps per set with the frequency method.

If you dont have access to a chin bar all day but still want to get in a ton of volume you can try doing a ladder then stopping as soon as it gets hard. Do 1 chin, rest as long as it took you to do 1 chin, do to 2 chins, rest as long as it took to do 2 chins, and so on. As soon as it gets difficult/you get slower you start over at 1 chin or you stop completely for the day. This doesn't work as well and has a greater likelihood to mess with you recovery but if you are smart about it you can still get some benefit.

I do them at love it. I am up to 5 sets of 9 every day.

Couldn't do it without a bar at home though.

I swear this is the "Grease the Groove" method outlined by Pavel Tsatsouline. Not entirely sure, but I believe it's in his book "Power to the People."

i have a bar that i never really used before. are 5 sets the norm for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by dsp View Post
    i have a bar that i never really used before. are 5 sets the norm for this stuff?
    I don't know if there is a set standard for sets and reps. Just start with something that is easy for you. Something that you won't struggle on any rep on any set. The next week add a rep to each set, and just keep doing that weekly until you can't anymore.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vechet View Post
    I swear this is the "Grease the Groove" method outlined by Pavel Tsatsouline. Not entirely sure, but I believe it's in his book "Power to the People."
    It is. And may or may not get discussed on here weekly.