starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building An Empire

Default Building An Empire

• wichita falls texas december seminar 2020
    • wichita falls texas february 2021 seminar
    • starting strength seminar april 2021
    by Matt Reynolds

Sport coaches, who are typically excellent people, are vastly undereducated in strength and conditioning. They print out poorly designed cookie-cutter programs and expect enormous results. Or worse, kids are left to do whatever they want in the weight room. Full of enthusiasm, they still ultimately choose a hodgepodge program made of a mix of the latest fitness trends and weight training fallacies, and end up spinning their wheels and never making progress. The athletes are left pathetically weak and underweight, and the only things that grow are their egos (from 6″high squats) and their biceps (from training them 3 days per week). Our system is broken. If a change is to ever occur it must start with the coach.

Article

Resources Page

Fabulous article, Matt. I'm really hoping that my gym can serve as a resource for local high school coaches, since the schools in my area are sorely lacking in equipment.

Training for performance makes you a man. Training for aesthetics makes you gay.
    :lol

Come on, that's mean. Gay guys already have a hard time in a SS style gym. All those hips... driving.

Could you mail this back in time to my football coach in 1996? I could have been much stronger much earlier if he had been having us do real squats, and then if he had known enough to put us on something like 5/3/1 after the novice training topped out. I deadlifted 450 as a junior and then assumed that that's as strong as I was ever going to get. Idiocy.

I wish that my sport teachers at school would have known that stuff. Instead we had to play football (european football aka soccer) almost every time without ANY kind of strength training.

"Training for aesthetics makes you gay."

I know that this isn't meant in an offensive way, but you have to consider the people who are supposed to read this. If you really want coaches to read this and want them to take you seriously you should probably avoid this kind of slang. Apart from the potential offensiveness of the word 'gay' it is just a very fuzzy word. There just might be a better word in your vocabularies to describe what you meant to say.

Other than that, great article!

Thanks for the kind words guys. As for the using the word "gay" I'll try to do better next time.

An excellent article. Two key standout points for me were:

Investing in coaches knowledge and not the equipment. It's like going to the TKD MacDojo because it has air conditioning, showers, a bright high ceiling and indifferently knowledgeable teachers. It's not the building or even what's inside the building. It's what the people in charge inside the building know and can teach well.

The section on conditioning and the work to rest ratio of typical football engagements. I came to the same conclusion about my own conditioning for self defense over a year ago just by dumb-ass luck. Strangely, the ratio is pretty close to what happens in real life self defense engagements. As opposed to refereed "fighting" or matches in a ring.

Thanks for that.

Awesome article. From my limited experience, part of the reason that high school strength coaching is so often ineffective and in disarray is that the guys who get into it tend to be the guys who were physically gifted, at least relative to their high school teammates. They don't have a very nuanced grasp of programming because when they were in high school, they fucked around a bit in the weight room and it led them to a 315 pound bench, so by god they were Strong Enough. I guess it's not a novel observation to say that the naturally gifted can make lousy coaches.

To echo the poster above, I wish my high school coaches had known anything about strength and conditioning. I remember one coach teaching us how to "squat": Feet about 12 inches apart, toes straight ahead. Go down past parallel while keeping your torso as vertical as possible. A good many of us simply could not do this without tipping over backwards. We all said, well, guess we can't squat. And that was pretty much it for strength training. Lots of conditioning, no strength work.

I often think about moving to teaching and coaching when I burn out on my current career. If I ever do, I'll be giving you a ring and perhaps paying you a visit.

Matt, you're so GAY!

And you don't know what strong is...lol...Google me, bitch!

(For those who dont get this, its an inside joke between me and matt)

starting strength coach development program
    Great article Matt, would you be able to post some of the variations you implement on programs such as 5/3/1? And why is it that you move to monthly progression instead of weekly progression once workout by workout linear progression is capped?

I appreciate the information in the article, now if only there was an option for homeschooled kids like I was lol.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast