starting strength gym

Thread: Hard to recover from deadlifts?

Default Hard to recover from deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have read many times that it is hard to recover from deadlifts. This is why volume of deadlifts is much smaller than squats in SS and TM programs. However my own experience is just opposite, i recover faster from deadlifts than from squats. I can do many sets across with relatively heavy weight without big recovery problems. To me easier recovery from deadlifts seems also logical because there is no eccentric component and there is no need to carry weight whole time. What are your thoughts? Why Rippetoe and others say that it is hard to recover from deadlifts and what is your experience?

deadlifts are easy on me

There's no stretch reflex in the deadlift to help, the weights used are heavier than in the squat, and more of the stress proportionally is applied to the lower back in the deadlift than in the squat due to the difference back angle. The lower back typically has a lower work tolerance than the other muscle groups, fatigues faster and recovers slower.

What are you squatting and deadlifting now, and what's your weight?

Bodyweight ~94 kg. I deadlift much more than i squat. Squat PR 160 kg and semi sumo style deadlift PR 225 kg. I have not maxed out conventional long time but it should be about same, i did 200 year ago when i was overally weaker. Yesterday for example i did sumo 4 sets 8 reps with 155 kg followed with 4 sets 11 reps conventional deficit deadlift with just 115 kg. Sometimes i do heavier conventional first does not matter much recovery wise. Last squat day was 4 sets 8 reps with 125 kg.

If your main deadlift is sumo style, that should be easier to recover from than conventional.

And with any style, if the weight is too light, that won't really tax your recovery either.

I always thought deadlifts were done 1x5 in SS because they're done after 3x5 squats, which fatigue some of the same muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by FKYT View Post
    I always thought deadlifts were done 1x5 in SS because they're done after 3x5 squats, which fatigue some of the same muscles.
    Well, you're right that they fatigue the same muscles, but SS also has power cleans for 15 reps after squats.

You wouldn't happen to be bouncing your deadlifts at the bottom (tap-and-go), would you?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    If your main deadlift is sumo style, that should be easier to recover from than conventional.

And with any style, if the weight is too light, that won't really tax your recovery either.
    I do sumo and conventional with same frequency. If weight is too light or not is hard to say, mostly yes i use less weight than i could but i do deadlifts still way heavier and with higher volume than squats and recover easier from deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by forgeforth View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be bouncing your deadlifts at the bottom (tap-and-go), would you?
    If this question was to me, then no i never bounce deadlifts.