starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can someone explain body composition to me please

Default can someone explain body composition to me please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok so I was just watching replays of the 2004 oly weightlifting 77kg class.

I was watching this one guy, Taner Sagir. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5yifpd3RBQ&NR=1

Ive never really understood why there can be such a substantial difference between people of the same weight. If I could get to where he is (in physique not in oly lifting lol - its too late for that!), then id be happy.

This guy is only 5lb heavier than me, and only 2 inches smaller in height. Is he really big or is it deceptive on the TV?

in weight class sports you can weigh heavier in competition than in the weigh-ins so he might have cut weight then filled it back up in competition time. or he could simply just be bigger than everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Ok so I was just watching replays of the 2004 oly weightlifting 77kg class.

I was watching this one guy, Taner Sagir. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5yifpd3RBQ&NR=1

Ive never really understood why there can be such a substantial difference between people of the same weight. If I could get to where he is (in physique not in oly lifting lol - its too late for that!), then id be happy.

This guy is only 5lb heavier than me, and only 2 inches smaller in height. Is he really big or is it deceptive on the TV?
    he has more muscle mass than you and less fat

Lol yes! Is that the entire reason?

If he is 10% fat, then i'd need to put on, say, 20lb's muscle. I dont think i'd still look like that even if I put on 20lbs muscle.
    Last edited by danlightbulb; 06-13-2011 at 03:52 AM.

No, you'd need to put on 20lb of lean mass (not saying dry muscle) and lose a whole load of fat too. And you can't gain muscle without fat, so you'd have to lose quite a bit of fat to end up 10% at 75kg..

So perhaps a sequence of drop 25 lb of fat, bulk 40lb, and then trim off the excess bodyfat to be around 10% @ 75kg..

numerically speaking that is.
    Last edited by msingh; 06-13-2011 at 04:06 AM.

he isn't 10 percent bodyfat though

you could look like that this year if you wanted lol

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    in weight class sports you can weigh heavier in competition than in the weigh-ins so he might have cut weight then filled it back up in competition time. or he could simply just be bigger than everyone else.
    Olympic lifters don't cut the same way that boxers and wrestlers do, though. And, you usually weigh-in two hours before you lift.

Quote Originally Posted by ComeAtMeBro View Post
    he isn't 10 percent bodyfat though

you could look like that this year if you wanted lol
    But, he couldn't have an Olympic gold medal like Sagir...

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Olympic lifters don't cut the same way that boxers and wrestlers do, though. And, you usually weigh-in two hours before you lift.
    my bad

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by danlightbulb View Post
    Lol yes! Is that the entire reason?
    If he is 10% fat, then i'd need to put on, say, 20lb's muscle. I dont think i'd still look like that even if I put on 20lbs muscle.
    At first i thought you were trolling ... but perhaps not. So generally speaking people are made of skeletons, organs, muscle and fat. Skeletons com in small , medium or large build (obviously it's a continuum, but this is how it's thought of). They have a big impact in what you look like but whatever style you have genetically that's what you have you can't change it. Organs are around and they weigh however much they weigh. It's not something that varies a lot person to person and there's nothing you can do about it anyway. So then the things that both vary from person to person (and that can be changed ) that affect how they look are muscle mass and fat.

So yes, if you have two guys who are 6' 00" 190lbs 10% body fat and "medium" skeleton they'll likely look pretty similar (unless one of them is doing SS and the other is doing bench and curls all day)
    Last edited by veryhrm; 06-13-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast