starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach, abs fanatics are talking shit about me because SS is Too Effective What to do?

Default Coach, abs fanatics are talking shit about me because SS is Too Effective What to do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rippetoe,

Today was a deadlift day and I was supposed to do 380 x 5 but I was not recovered from Monday squats and I couldn't lift it a single time. Than some ab fanatic (skinny boy looking at his abs in the mirrors) came to me and asked me what's my program and I told him SS and explained - SQ 3x/week ... and he said:

AB Boy: Can't you see that it's not working? Are you at least gaining strength? How long have you been training?

Me: Since the end of November 2010.

Ab Boy: Have you gain some weight? You look the same.

Me: Yes, more than 45 pounds. I used to be 145 with clothes and now 195 without. (I'm tall and 195 is still not massive thought.)

Ab Boy: I don't believed it and it's probably because you eat a lot and it's not muscle.

How to deal with this guy? He also started talking behind my back how I jump with a barbell (a.k.a power clean) and one time came to me and gave me a rope and said:

Jump with this.

The funny thing is that he does not even know my name. What would Mark Rippetoe do if he was me?

How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by ToyStory View Post
    Coach Rippetoe,

The funny thing is that he does not even know my name. What would Mark Rippetoe do if he was me?
    1. Either thank him for his concern and go back to training, or told him to shut the fuck up.

2. What does Mark Rippetoe need to coach you through your social interactions with someone who doesn't give a shit about getting stronger and whose entire educations comes form Flex and Musclemag?

You could try punching him in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyStory View Post
    What would Mark Rippetoe do if he was me?
    And even better question would be what would TBone do? The answer would be pretty darn funny.

But why in the world are you worrying about this? Eat, sleep, do the program and be happy.

Had the same problem, but it was the gym owner. Ignoring the assholes is fine until they cross the line. We could use some good ol' Sun Tzu here (Chinese guy, Rip would probably like him):

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

So, who is this guy how well known he is in the place you train? Is he respected, do people like him? What would happen if you tell him to fuck off? He sounds like a little bitch, but still.. he might have allys. So proceed carefully grasshopper. Know your enemy.

Now access how his position applys on you.

If he is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him.

Basically if he is somebody that is socially superior to you in the environment that you are now just take all the shit he trows at you. There is a good chance he will get bored and leave you alone. But on the other hand if just gets worse:

If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.

Just do your thing - train. He will eventually cross the line and most likely do something or say something. Then just call him on his shit. Tell him:

What the fuck is your problem? What you want from me? I'm just here to in train in peace! Please leave me alone! - Be victim here, he will look like an arrogant bully - which is exactly what he is. I had this problem but after I confronted the asshole he left me alone.

If equally matched, we can offer battle; if slightly inferior in numbers, we can avoid the enemy; if quite unequal in every way, we can flee from him.

So if you are equally matched: FIGHT!

FUCK OFF YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT! WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE! THROW THAT FUCKING JUMPING ROPE AT ME AGAIN AND I WILL RAM IT UP YOUR ASS!

You might end up in a fight. Beat him up You might lose the fight but he will leave you alone afterwards. It is of utmost importance to know your enemy here. He might have friends that will join him, or he might know Kung Fu - you don't want that.

If he is just a fucking nobody, ignore him or tell him something short to go away.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 06-15-2011 at 06:12 PM.

ToyStory- It sucks that you have to deal with people like that, I have them at my gym too...constantly correcting me, telling me squats kill the knees if you go down more than 1/3 the way, deadlifts are bad for my back yadda yadda yadda. They're annoying and I usually have a mutual avoidance with them, but if this guy is actually bothering you, simply tell him that your goals are different from his and you're making the progress/gains/results you want on your current program.

Very weird, Macetini.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrookDweller View Post
    ToyStory- It sucks that you have to deal with people like that, I have them at my gym too...constantly correcting me, telling me squats kill the knees if you go down more than 1/3 the way, deadlifts are bad for my back yadda yadda yadda. They're annoying and I usually have a mutual avoidance with them, but if this guy is actually bothering you, simply tell him that your goals are different from his and you're making the progress/gains/results you want on your current program.
    I don't think this guy deserves a nice treatment. I have found that after squatting 3 plates, people might not understand or agree, but they leave you alone. Let alone 4 plates. So, the answer i: get your squat to 405. If he still bugs you, just say "I just squatted 3 of you. You think I can't punch one of you?".

starting strength coach development program
    When I get comments like this, I say "Just a few months ago, I was flattened by [some pathetic weight], but now I just did [much higher weight] for reps." Of course, this works much better if you actually succeeded in doing your work sets for the day.

If he asks about power cleans again, just tell him what you're doing and what they're good for. If you sound knowledgeable, they'll usually shut up (to your face anyway).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast