starting strength gym

Thread: Tingling in right arm/hand after squats

Default Tingling in right arm/hand after squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For the first time after squatting (this is my 7th session I think) today I got tingling in my right arm/hand after my first set. I was doing a new PR if 155lbs (just starting out). My strength didn't seem to be effected, and I continued my workout. The tingling gradually decreased until it was gone about 45 minutes later.

I found this thread from 3 years ago about someone that had the same issue in the other arm: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ead.php?t=8726

Given that that thread was so long ago and most of the people who replied are no longer around, I thought I'd ask: has anyone else encountered this? Any recommendations other than to see a chiropractor or neurologist?

It could be that your wrist position is suboptimal. Can't tell from any of your videos though.

Look up ulnar nerve entrapment. A talented and sadistic PT is currently working marvels with my case. Mine flares up with overhead press/chins, and has significantly improved over the last 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackthestrat View Post
    Look up ulnar nerve entrapment. A talented and sadistic PT is currently working marvels with my case. Mine flares up with overhead press/chins, and has significantly improved over the last 3 weeks.
    What are you doing that is helping? I had surgery for my ulnar never years ago and I still have lingering numbness and pain.

OP - Make sure you keep your wrists in a good position while you squat, and that you are keeping the weight supported on your back and not with your arms. It could also be a carpel tunnel related issue.

Quote Originally Posted by yorick View Post
    What are you doing that is helping? I had surgery for my ulnar never years ago and I still have lingering numbness and pain.
    I'm not the PT so I'm sure the names are off, but they've got me doing high rep extremely low intensity stuff like high cable pulldowns, horizontal rows, lots of shoulder/ rotator and then wrist and forearm specific stuff as a warm up, followed by ruthless and focused deep tissue massage at the forearm and tricep insertion areas. I think it is the massage that is helping.

There are a couple of things that seem to be helping my ulnar nerve pain - fish oil and front squats. I think the fish oil does help with some of the inflammation, and holding the bar in the power clean rack position on the front squats seems to stretch my arm in a good way.

Have you tried widening your grip a bit?

So I checked your squat video, and here's my opinion. I am not a coach, just a guy on the internetz.

You seem to lose your upper back tightness as your set progresses (maybe because you're squatting in front of a mirror? look down, not forward), and it looks like your wrist position is such that you're using your arms to hold up the weight. You use your back to hold up the weight, not your arms.

Did you recieve the book yet?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks everyone for the input.

I'll try widening my grip (btw I use a false grip for squat, it feels best on my wrists), and making sure the weight is fully supported on my back. I've never consciously focused on upper back tightness before, so you're probably right that it should be tighter. I'll try that too.

Haven't gotten the book yet. It should arrive Friday.