starting strength gym

Thread: My first (small) squatting wreck

Default My first (small) squatting wreck

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today i was doing my 3x5 beginner program workout. So i was doing my squats at 275lbs in the power rack as per usual... 1st work set feels heavy and kind of "off" (not unusual for me). 2nd set was alright. 3rd set. 1st rep ok. 2nd rep.. I started to fall over backwards when pushing out of the bottom. Basically my feet were coming up and i was all the way in my heels and still going. Everything then happened in slow motion (or time dilation, if you will). I folded forward and placed the bar down on the rails and then just rolled onto my butt and back. Not even a satisfying clunk on the rails.

My left biceps felt a bit tweaked but otherwise nothing felt weird. Stripped the bar and moved on to the bench press. It was alright but my biceps (or more likely the brachioradialis) on both sides were hurting. By the time i stripped the bench press bar.. decided to skip the DL. It was hurting pretty badly. About 1 hr and 1 dose of ibuprofen later it feelt 95% normal and continues to do so 4 hrs later. Curious what tomorrow will bring. that is all

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Today i was doing my 3x5 beginner program workout. So i was doing my squats at 275lbs in the power rack as per usual... 1st work set feels heavy and kind of "off" (not unusual for me). 2nd set was alright. 3rd set. 1st rep ok. 2nd rep.. I started to fall over backwards when pushing out of the bottom. Basically my feet were coming up and i was all the way in my heels and still going. Everything then happened in slow motion (or time dilation, if you will). I folded forward and placed the bar down on the rails and then just rolled onto my butt and back. Not even a satisfying clunk on the rails.

My left biceps felt a bit tweaked but otherwise nothing felt weird. Stripped the bar and moved on to the bench press. It was alright but my biceps (or more likely the brachioradialis) on both sides were hurting. By the time i stripped the bench press bar.. decided to skip the DL. It was hurting pretty badly. About 1 hr and 1 dose of ibuprofen later it feelt 95% normal and continues to do so 4 hrs later. Curious what tomorrow will bring. that is all
    Balance has become more of an issue for me as the weights passed 275 and then 300. You may also find that to be the case. Happens when I'm too loose. On Friday I lost my balance forward on rep two of my third set of 345lbs. Quickly set it down on the safeties and called it a day. The last time I failed due to balance, I decided to power out from ass-on-ankles and gave myself tendinitis.

Thanks for the support guys. Today i redid 3x5x275 and it went mostly alright. Whatever muscles i hurt during the incident felt fine Sunday and Monday, but started to hurt again a little after the 1st work set and a medium amount by the end of the 3rd but that subsided by the time i was doing my presses so i'm guessing they're getting better pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Balance has become more of an issue for me as the weights passed 275 and then 300. You may also find that to be the case. Happens when I'm too loose. On Friday I lost my balance forward on rep two of my third set of 345lbs. Quickly set it down on the safeties and called it a day. The last time I failed due to balance, I decided to power out from ass-on-ankles and gave myself tendinitis.
    Interesting. What kind of tendinitis did you get ? how long did it last ?

During today's 3rd set i got a bit on my heels again but THIS time it was at the top of the rep. I just stood up too straight at the end, it felt like. But yes looseness has been an intermittent issue the past few weeks. If i squeeze things really tight it's really taxing, like the exertion feels like it's 2x of a normal rep, but then if i don't sometimes i'm too loose.

Heh... writing this gave me an idea. W/o any weight i did Valsalva and tightened my abdomen. According to the mirror in about 15 seconds my face was all red and and veins (or arteries ?) were bulging on my head and in my neck and my eyes hurt a bit. I don't know if it's a newly learned skill to tighten things or my heart got stronger or i just never tried that before but man... kind of freaky. It also didn't feel very good. I'm becoming skeptical of the claim that Valsalva and resulting high BP are nothing to worry about...

Disclaimer: don't try anything described in this message at home lest you have some sort of vascular incident.

Can anyone identify the muscle (or other structure)?

Pain is felt "in" the "biceps" and the outside of the "biceps" near the elbow. Things that cause pain: curling w/ a neutral hand (putting weight plates on a bar, hammer curls), bench press over ~75 lbs, squats (but only after the set is over), swimming.
    Curling with a supinated (palm up) hand is totally fine and the press is 90%+ fine also.

After searching the web and this site, i'm thinking it's the "brachialis" but not too confident.

In any case... 11 days after my small incident bailing out on a squat this is how it stands: loading the bar for squats hurts a bit. Squatting causes pain after the sets but it's no problem during the set. After the 2nd and 3rd work sets it hurts a good deal. Taking the plates off the bar is kind of painful, but fortunately i have a big gut i can use to support the plates as i slide them off. Bench press is not really possible at normal weights: on Monday i benched 10,7,7x135 and it got the pain going pretty badly. I tried 180 but just taking it out of the rack was very unpleasant so i put it back and did the higher volume. This is down from my SS beginner program workset of 3x5x180 the day this happened.

It's an interesting kind of pain in that it builds up and it can be pretty intense for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, but then it goes away completely. Also i can't really cause it outside of the weight room.

Anyone had this before?

starting strength coach development program
    Wanna know my squat wreck...was squating no rack (nothin to catch the bar) do 2 sets at 300 super hard bc my form sucks and i gm alot. 3rd set get done 3 reps go to do 4th get up half way and collaspe ass on my heels. I let go of the bar and since i had it chalked and my back chalked it slowly scraped down my back giving me 3 long ass cuts and a layer of skin missing. Prehaps i could have move forward but it was the first time it happened to me and when i got stuck in the hole i was like "hm wtf do I do now?"