starting strength gym

Thread: Request for squat form check

Default Request for squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

I recently got your Starting Strength book and dvd, and have just started out on the novice program. Thanks much for the material there and on your forum, and I'm working through the book and dvd now. I'm getting back into lifting after about a year off recovering from a herniated disc/sciatica, (plus a few months now on no real program, just 'testing the waters') and I would appreciate any feedback either positive or ruthless and toothless regarding my squat form.

Before my back injury I was working with a safety squat bar because of a screwed up shoulder (from a bad fall in judo), but I've been working on flexibility and finally can get under a regular bar.

Anyway, I think I've gotten past my injuries and am eager to work the program. But would love any pointers you could offer in hopes of my not landing back in fucked-up-back-land again once the weight gets heavy.

I'm 34, 5'11", 227 lbs. The squat weight here is 185. Thanks for your time.

set 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwURoyCYzCQ

set 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG5kpyxuKMQ

set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHL0NTqs040

Those look good. The two things i'd mention is maybe shove you knees out more (no change in foot width or angle, just push the knees to the outside). Also there isn't much bounce at the bottom of most reps.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try working on shoving the knees out more. I'm probably killing the bounce by being too robotic thinking of trying to sit back...

Dude, you should start the squat with both knees and hips. So far you seem too psyched about sitting back. Just start with both knees and hips and remember that the knees should not move forward after 1/3 of the movement. You are letting them slight forward and you pause at the bottom. That way you lose shitload of strength and you won't squat much.

BTW if you are 5'11", 227 lbs and just starting out consider yourself lucky since your levers are great. You might be one of those guys that take his squat during SS in the high 300s. But remember fix it. Good luck.

I see what you mean about starting off the squat with both knees and hips...I am thinking too much about going back. That's probably why I was letting them slide forward at the bottom because otherwise I'd probably just tip over. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not just starting out, but I've never taken SS/linear progression to the end and think I can get quite a bit more out of it. I've gotten as high as 320 for 5 a while back, but not regular squatting instead with a safety squat bar...now I've been working on my shoulders enough to get under a regular bar and want to use SS to take the squat up. Time to buckle down and do it.