starting strength gym

Thread: I need help finding my work set weights. Formula or estimations.

Default I need help finding my work set weights. Formula or estimations.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I went to squat and after some sets i got to 250 after not lifting since about February.

I don't recall a formula to take my 1RM and choose a work out with with it.

I stopped at 250 cause it was hard but also I'm using a set of 4 cinder blocks in a quad format all standing tall. I use this as my box to squat off of and the stability is still being tested. I'm going to put a chimney strap around them so they aren't going to topple.

Next i didn't have a squatter nor saw horses and i was working out at home alone out side at 2 am. I want to be safe.

How do i formulate my workout weight starting from a 1 RM of 250.

Off to watch the squat dvd instructional

PS this thread will soon include my other lifts 1RM and i'd like you to stay tuned for help in these lifts in the event there isn't a formula but just a estimation

start out with 185lbs for 3x5

good luck

if you found your 1RM, just do 1RM x .75 and start there for work sets

it will be a little bit low, but not by much, and it's better to be too low than too high and peter out prematurely

Quote Originally Posted by styleten View Post
    ...I'm using a set of 4 cinder blocks in a quad format all standing tall. I use this as my box to squat off of and the stability is still being tested...

Next i didn't have a squatter nor saw horses and i was working out at home alone out side at 2 am. I want to be safe.

Really?

You are in serious need of reading the book.

I look at this site for some ballpark numbers: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

You can insert the weight/reps in and hit calculate. On top it will show you % of 1RM (for those that don't like to use calculators) and on the bottom it shows rep range/percent of max. It shows 3 different calculations. If you look at 5 reps it says (86,87,85%). So if you can lift a weight 5 times (like a 5RM) it would be around that percentage of your max. Remember this is a 5RM not 3x5. You also don't want to lift anywhere near your max to start, since you are trying to make progression. Start lighter and err to the side of caution.

Remember, the 1RM calculator is just a tool. Use common sense while lifting the weight too. If you start to grind reps real slowly, realize that you might have a stall/deload in the near future.

Look at the book/videos too, since they don't have you doing box squats. Box squats aren't bad, but you usually have a slightly different form using them vs normal squats. It might be a good idea to learn normal squats right now and add the box squats back in later (for more advanced training). I have been lifting for 6 months and I still screw up my form a little on maximal squats. It just takes practice to get it right.

For having been gone awhile, start when the weight gets a bit hard, but not crazy hard.

gotta be a joke

I got the book carlos, I'm not going to get though it very fast. This place offers a way to get better workouts before the completions of the book and I'm going to utilize that. If you don't want to help i'm sure you can serpentine my thread really easily.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by styleten View Post
    I got the book carlos, I'm not going to get though it very fast. This place offers a way to get better workouts before the completions of the book and I'm going to utilize that. If you don't want to help i'm sure you can serpentine my thread really easily.
    Skip to the end of the book and read that part then.