starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Death by Prowler

Default Death by Prowler

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Matt Reynolds

“The Prowler is simply the best tool ever invented for conditioning. It’s simple. It’s cheap. It’s completely concentric, leads to little increased fatigue, doesn’t contribute to systemic inflammation, and yet it’s still harder than anything else.”

Article

Resources Page

Really good article, with a single caveat, and that's the shade of Pukey.

Now, in this context I understand why the Prowler Flu is different than Pukey, because of the fact that the training is specifically designed to reach a particular goal, and people can rapidly blow themselves over their conditioning threshold and barf like they've got Beaver Fever in pursuit of that goal. And that's different than "I did a bunch of random shit over broad time and modal domains, and I'm awesome because I'm covered in my own vomit". But in some ways it's a fine line, and to someone in the grip of X-fit group think, it's complete invisible.

I don't think Mr. Reynolds should be worried about it, and he clearly isn't, and it doesn't detract from a great article.
    Just thought it was worth mentioning, from a philosophical point of view.

I think those interested in energy system development would be very interested in Charlie Weingroff's perspective (who is a powerlifter, DPT, AT, etc.), as well as, the works of Joel Jamieson, James Smith & Landon Evans. Things aren't necessarily what we once believed when it comes to conditioning/energy system development. These points correlate with my own experiences.

The prowler could be used for all of these types of conditioning.

Here's the link: Contemporary Cardio

Some key points from the link:
    -The rest period of the interval, is a function of the aerobic system, not anaerobic. You can’t get better at the recovery part quickly without having a great aerobic piece. That aerobic piece comes from when you’re breathing hard in the off interval, trying to use oxygen to refuel the system. And when you are in an activity or sport that requires longer duration of action and shorter to no rest periods, there is more to it that just quick bursts. Just like we have slow and fast strength, we can also have slow and fast cardio.
    -Performing short bursts of HIIT all the time will help you lose fat and be healthy, but it may leave quick recovery with preserved power output during sport-based time frames.
    -Improving the aerobic system will push the effectiveness of anaerobic training. These are intervals of movements that support longer time and lower heart rate. This is not LSD training.
    Last edited by RyanH; 08-17-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Thank you Matt for a great article. It was incredibly helpful to have a scientific and logical approach associated with such a potent piece of equipment. I received a Prowler as a gift from my husband last week. This afternoon will be our second time using it and with the help of your article we now have a game plan. Much better than just going out and pushing until the point of illness or boredom.

Any suggestions for Prowler workouts on a hill? We live on hilly road and need to put the Prowler in the car and take it to flat ground to use it which is what we did the first time.

Thanks again,

Gillian Mounsey

Article is great, appreciate it! Makes me want to go outside and push my sled right now, haha...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    Thank you Matt for a great article. It was incredibly helpful to have a scientific and logical approach associated with such a potent piece of equipment. I received a Prowler as a gift from my husband last week. This afternoon will be our second time using it and with the help of your article we now have a game plan. Much better than just going out and pushing until the point of illness or boredom.

Any suggestions for Prowler workouts on a hill? We live on hilly road and need to put the Prowler in the car and take it to flat ground to use it which is what we did the first time.

Thanks again,

Gillian Mounsey
    Thank you Gillian. BTW, LOVED your article. I actually read it outloud to my wife in bed one night a couple weeks ago.

As for the hill, what I would do is just go rounds with your husband - up the hill and back down is ONE, then he goes up and down, then you go, etc. The up part is hard - the down part, not so much. Typically when much are much strong then their ladies, then the guy could push up hill, while the woman pushed down. But you're not a typical weak xfit woman, so that probably wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Matt Reynolds; 08-17-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: misspelled outloud

Pushing down hill on the low handles can still be a real pain in the ass, definitely not easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    LOVED your article. I actually read it outload to my wife in bed one night a couple weeks ago.
    That's damned interesting, Matt.

LOL. Been married 11 years. What else am I gonna do in bed?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    LOL. Been married 11 years. What else am I gonna do in bed?
    I've been married to Dearly Beloved for 34 years this October rookie, and I have yet to read to her in bed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast