starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you supposed to arch your lower back on squats?

Default Are you supposed to arch your lower back on squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I hear many people saying to do this. However I just looked at this

http://stronglifts.com/squat-clinic-...ck-pain-mitch/

and he says your not supposed to arch your lower back because you don't use your abs that way. Is he right?

Having just got the SS DVD and watched it a couple of times last night and struggling with my own form issues, there should be some arch, not a loose lumbar back. The lower back should not be rounded, but should not be hyper extended either. If he is too flexible and hyper-extending his lower back he could have trouble. The comment from "Bill" on the SL site has it right - you have to keep the back tight and not extended out too far.

"
    Bill says:
    March 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm
    Hurt my lower back doing squats on Feb. 22. Ironically, the daily post on Feb. 23 was “5 reasons squats are killing your lower back”. I studied it and found I was doing the same as this guy: arching my back way too much. So I deloaded all the way back to 135# and focused on “staying tight” and kept my upper body straight instead of arched. I couldn’t believe how much better the squat felt after this little change. I found way more comfort down in the hole and especially after workouts. Now after reading this, I think I’ll try widening my stance a little. Thank you Mehdi.
    "

Hope that helps.

Lordosis is the correct anatomical position for the lower back while standing, and I believe this is maintained while also adding kyphotic extension to straighten the top of the spine. I think he's referring to lordotic overextension.

Do you own SS? THis is covered to a great extent in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    Do you own SS? THis is covered to a great extent in there.
    This. Read the book in stead of random internet BS.

Slightly OT: I guess that for some extremely rare and freaky individuals it would be possible to hyperextend your lumbar, and injure yourself that way. Still don't get how you cant use your abs while arching your lower back. The abs is exactly what helps you keep it arched...

How is stronglifts.com random internet bullshit?

I don't think most people are capable of overextending their lower back while squatting, and merely attempting to do so will place them in the correct position. People who are very flexible would have problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontSkwatter View Post
    I hear many people saying to do this. However I just looked at this

http://stronglifts.com/squat-clinic-...ck-pain-mitch/

and he says your not supposed to arch your lower back because you don't use your abs that way. Is he right?
    Don't read SL.com. Especially not for something that's outside of Mehdi's expertise, like squatting technique. Or lifting heavy weights. Read the Book. You can disagree about the program, or whatever, but the book is pretty damn solid. Heck, you can squat with just about any form you want (high bar, different styles of low bar...), but they're all in agreement with Rip about the lower back. So go to Rip, go to some expert, but don't read SL.com.

Quote Originally Posted by dewasiuk View Post
    Not sure if serious...

Because Mehdi doesn't know anything? He's basically a secondary source. An untrustworthy one. Go to primary sources.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dewasiuk View Post
    It is by the simple fact that it is.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast