starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower back question (not the typical one)

Default Lower back question (not the typical one)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach, I hurt my lower back squatting with poor form about a year ago and I pull the same thing again whenever i try to squat or deadlift. Previous attempts were also with bad form, but most recently, i hurt it squatting like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pizgr-tQ9uE . I think that form looks pretty good. Chiropractors have said that its not disc or joint pain, just recurring muscle injury. What i want to know is, can i heal this injury by squatting and deadlifting with the starr rehab method or something similar? I've read on this board of people with herniated discs and such recovering, but i cant seem to make it past the first stages.

How did the chiropractor come to this conclusion? MRI? If you can lift through the pain and it does not get worst, I say do so. If visiting the chiropractor or physical therapy helps, continue so.

Time and staying active usually solves these problems from what I have read in the forums and the web, but my research focused more on herniated discs.

He told me this based on my description and he assessments, he says it's muscular because pain is not constant, is only in one part of my back, is never tingling pain, and doesn't worsen when sitting. It seems like no matter what I do, it hurts again when re attempting squats and deads, i get excited when I hear people say how they cured their back pain with deadlifts, but I just can't seem to move past light weights, I think I'll try the Starr rehab, any suggestions?

Why don't you get a massage.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC1 View Post
    Why don't you get a massage.
    Yes. Op, roll a tennis or lacrosse ball across your back. If you find any painful spots, just roll the fuck out of them.

thanks guys, i already foam roll and roll all over an orange hockey ball almost everyday, it does feel pretty good but what i'm talking about is more or less prehab to prevent getting hurt again, not deal with my current situation (which has been hovering around 95% recovered for a while now)

No idea. I'm young and lively, never got a back injury.

Quote Originally Posted by guitargoalie View Post
    thanks guys, i already foam roll and roll all over an orange hockey ball almost everyday, it does feel pretty good but what i'm talking about is more or less prehab to prevent getting hurt again, not deal with my current situation (which has been hovering around 95% recovered for a while now)
    Nothing can 100% avoid re-injury. Use proper form and thorough warmup always. If you feel that your next increase in weight will hinder retaining proper form, lower your increments (micro-loading). Also always use a belt on your work-sets.

i'm 17 i haven't had a chance to develop any decent lower body strength because of this limiting factor. I'm trying to gather all the research that i can to aid in my recovery. So i've been trying to foam roll a lot, and correct the imbalances with my glutes and hip flexors, im not sure how big of a role this has played in re injuring my back a lot, but it probably had to do with the initial one. I guess i'll just have to keep searching for success stories of how people overcame their back injuries.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cambero View Post
    Nothing can 100% avoid re-injury. Use proper form and thorough warmup always. If you feel that your next increase in weight will hinder retaining proper form, lower your increments (micro-loading). Also always use a belt on your work-sets.
    would a belt be a good asset for me? I thought it would just mask the pain, i dont really want to become reliant on one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast