starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you overhead press/help needed with form issue

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    Your blunt attitude on the internet makes me want to meet you in person. If I'm ever anywhere remotely close to North Carolina I'm coming to train at your gym. I'll bring my wolf shirt.
    Well, for fuck's sake, he presses what I press, and he weighs what I weigh. He has a decent squat, so he's not a complete fool about training.

But, yeah, come visit and bring the wolf shirt. Everyone sets PRs at my gym. It's the glitter and the awesome.

And, ktang, I'm not saying this to knock your progress or numbers. It's just problem solving.

If you have a weak press and a press that has stalled, and you are an underweight male, then:

Easy solution = Gain some weight

5'6"
    143 lbs
    Press of 135 lbs

I've pressed 195 at 5'7" and 185 BW. I think I have 200 or maybe more.

5'11

205lbs

Press- 167.5 x4

Nine months of strength training.

5'11" and 185 lbs. I stalled at 55.4kg (122 lbs) and I'm resetting now. If your goal is to press more weight, then eat more and grow. You'll get there in no time.

Im 5'11" and press 160lbsx5x3 and still going up on novice progression. My favorite lift!

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Well, for fuck's sake, he presses what I press, and he weighs what I weigh. He has a decent squat, so he's not a complete fool about training.

But, yeah, come visit and bring the wolf shirt. Everyone sets PRs at my gym. It's the glitter and the awesome.
    While also the same height. :P

6'3, 235 male. Most I've pressed is 120# for 5, because I fucking suck. That 120 will be rectified in the next few weeks to be something less shitty.

Uh, 6'0, 205-210 lbs, 5x62 kg. I guess that's like 5x137 lbs. Dunno about max single, but I guess 70 kg tops as I've done 2-3x65 kg a while ago.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    And, ktang, I'm not saying this to knock your progress or numbers. It's just problem solving.

If you have a weak press and a press that has stalled, and you are an underweight male, then:

Easy solution = Gain some weight
    It's OK, I'm still a novice (3 months), so the 100 lbs is x 3 x 5. I don't know what my 1 RM press would be, but it's probably about 115 lbs. The 100 lbs x 3 x 5 was quite easy, so I don't think that I've stalled and I am continuing increasing 2 - 3 lbs every press workout. I'm not going to get greedy and stall linear progression by making larger jumps.

I think it stalled previously at 95 lbs x 3 x 4.75 because I wasn't microloading, as Rob Is and bob g have said. But, after 3 months, the body also hasn't had enough time to adapt, as bob g said in post #5 of this thread.

My weight has actually been going down slightly the last few weeks (we're finished the hypertrophy and strength parts of our off-season programs and the O2 and interval training is catabolic), but my strength has been increasing. Squats due to intermediate programming, and presses probably due to microloading. But, I'm weight training for hockey, not for maximal strength and/or weightlifting competitions.

To the OP: sorry about all that. We've all got to start somewhere, so keep at it! Listen to Rob Is and bob g about microloading, give the body time to adapt. I didn't get the importance of microloading, and I got stuck twice.

From the other posters: how long did you train to get to your current press weights, and did you get there with linear programming? If not, at what % of bodyweight did you switch?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast