starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dips and adding weight.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    i think it's easier to do weighted chinups and progress them while gaining weight than to progress bw chins anyways. i also think that unweighted is easier on recovery at the same time, so if you're already having trouble recovering i'd keep them at bw.

My thoughts on chins/dips should be pretty well established by now, but I still have yet to see a compelling argument of why dips or chins are somehow not subject to the exact same principles which drive up every other lift. I.e. tight technique with heavy weights in which you lift heavier weights over time (assuming technique stays tight).

There's no reason dips have to "fall apart" any more than any other lift. Be disciplined and keep form consistent, and you're fine adding weight as early as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JM3 View Post
    Oldser- you're fucking scary when youre not funny.
    Hah. I'm telling my wife that someone has thought I was funny at some point.

That'll teach her...

Get it....teacher.....she's a college professor.....ah..forget it..

see what I mean? scary humor...

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    Fuck waiting. I could only do something like 15 at bodyweight, now Im on 3x5 with an added 30kg (@93kgBW)

Why wait? Dips are easier with weight anyway.
    Exactly. Higher reps lends itself very well to dips, as you can still force out reps under extreme muscle fatigue. Sticking to 5 reps is wussing out, even if you are adding some measly weight. It also risks shoulder injuries. I would save lower rep stuff for bench press.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Exactly. Higher reps lends itself very well to dips, as you can still force out reps under extreme muscle fatigue. Sticking to 5 reps is wussing out, even if you are adding some measly weight. It also risks shoulder injuries. I would save lower rep stuff for bench press.
    So your argument is that adding weight to an exercise which involves the shoulder risks shoulder injuries, and you can rep out lighter weights for a given exercise "under extreme muscle fatigue," therefore you should focus on lighter work for reps?

Hey guys, the squat involves the knees. Adding weight to the squat risks knee injuries. You can force more reps out with 135 under extreme muscle fatigue. Why add weight???

Dastardly, this is profound silliness. The point isn't to "add measly weight" and avoid the apparently hard work of higher reps or hurt your shoulders by lifting with shit form. The point is to get strong. You know, to turn your dips from a set of 5 with bodyweight to a set of 5 with 135 in tight form (a reasonable benchmark of proficiency imho) over time. Do you think that might have some bearing on your strength?
    Last edited by blowdpanis; 09-11-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Shoot, 5's are THE rep range when in doubt. Other than that, a plan is usually in order. When doing singles in the dip in the past, I've worked up to one top single more than once in the past and came really close to cracking the 300lb barrier (+BW). And this coming from a guy with glass shoulders over the years though I admit, dips rarely bother them. A heavy single in the dips is a lot of work when you count the warmup work getting there. But then, so is a top heavy set of 5 or any other number.

Don't discount adding 5 or 10lbs per week for 10 or 20 weeks dwindling down to 2.5lbs for building some serious upper body muscle. And don't forget that the old timers counted the dip as the upper body squat, THE upper body muscle builder.

Dips certainly don't have to be used as a high rep movement. Though I have worked up to as high as a single set of 75 reps, I've also worked up to 'almost' 300lbs +BW (almost 300 sounds much cooler than 290...!) for a single in the distant past. In retrospect, I'd say the heavier single probably built more muscle than the 20-75 rep range.

I've been doing weighted dips for the past few month and half or so adding 2.5 lbs every week doing 3x5, They've been going strong and I'm confused at what you guys are saying about changing body angel while doing them is cheating? I go down I get some forward lean, I have had sets where my legs go backwards though (struggling when I first started) is that what you mean?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Dude, Im doing dips to help my bench and press, not for some muscle building endurance. 30kg isnt measly weight, thats more than you could press a few months ago if I remember. How the fuck is 3x5 wussing out? My bench is steady going up.

How does low reps increase shoulder injures? Maintain good form and whats the difference?

You know more than you know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast