starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dips and adding weight.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    I've been doing weighted dips for the past few month and half or so adding 2.5 lbs every week doing 3x5, They've been going strong and I'm confused at what you guys are saying about changing body angel while doing them is cheating? I go down I get some forward lean, I have had sets where my legs go backwards though (struggling when I first started) is that what you mean?
    If you lean forward you tend to use your pecs more I think.

Oldster, you are nuts. When I was competeting in gymnastics I could do about 30ish, 75 is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    I could do about 30ish, 75 is crazy.
    For over a decade I didn't do anything but dip, I had no bench station nor any interest in benching. So I dipped. And dipped. And dipped. High reps, low reps, heavy reps.

We all have something that is pretty easy for us, dipping was/is it for me. Which brings me to another point, we all have something that is 'easy' for us. When we find out what it is, it should be exploited, never held back.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post

We all have something that is pretty easy for us, dipping was/is it for me. Which brings me to another point, we all have something that is 'easy' for us. When we find out what it is, it should be exploited, never held back.
    amen.

Amen again.

Ive comed to realise Im never going to be even competent at squatting, cleaning or any kind of pressing. But pull ups and chins suit me very well, working har dot exploit these. I can also deadlift with picture perfect technique, something which has never arrived with squats even thought I have focused so hard on them almost explusively for two years.

Going on those things I can get perfect I think. Better to be awesome at one thing that mediocre at everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Amen again.

Ive comed to realise Im never going to be even competent at squatting, cleaning or any kind of pressing. But pull ups and chins suit me very well, working har dot exploit these. I can also deadlift with picture perfect technique, something which has never arrived with squats even thought I have focused so hard on them almost explusively for two years.

Going on those things I can get perfect I think. Better to be awesome at one thing that mediocre at everything.
    My squats suck too; they are my worst lift percentage wise. I am better at benching and the DL. I agree that you should exploit the things you are good at, but I wouldn't neglect squats just because they are more difficult. Still do the major lifts, just to stay well rounded.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Squatting was always my strong point, but I purposely held back so my lifts could be more in proportion, and I thought it was taxing me too much. Also was having trouble parting with my pants.. but i'm over that now. belt or go naked, with a belt, is the way to go!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123