starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: power clean for the bench press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeatank View Post
    Wow, How could I miss this.

A clean works the upper back, a raw bench uses the upper back more than any other muscle on the posterior side of the body.
    Oh okay.

I think it strengthens the shoulders as well but I am not sure how. For example, before weightlifting or barbell training, I was military pressing 145 at 180. After 6 months of weightlifting (power cleans, cleans etc...) my strict press has increased to 190 at 195lbs. I should note I haven't done any strict presses ( except for 2 sessions) and no push presses whatsoever. At this point I am curious about my potential. I added the military press into my program and am looking forward to pressing 225 soon. Unfortunately, it won't help my jerk but who cares.

2 plate press is still badass though so who cares if it wont help your jerk...

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    2 plate press is still badass though so who cares if it wont help your jerk...
    Yeah back in the day, weightlifters had a lot of upper body strength, yet they jerked relatively small weights. Split Jerking involves so much technique and quickness that there is completely no shoulders involved. I have source who used to lift with the old school USSR lifters. He said the 85kg-90kg lifters were pressing 130kg-150kg generally. This is a ton of weight.

well, son, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemoney123 View Post
    Yeah back in the day, weightlifters had a lot of upper body strength, yet they jerked relatively small weights. Split Jerking involves so much technique and quickness that there is completely no shoulders involved. I have source who used to lift with the old school USSR lifters. He said the 85kg-90kg lifters were pressing 130kg-150kg generally. This is a ton of weight.
    No. 907.18474 kg is a ton of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by pacificmonk View Post
    No. 907.18474 kg is a ton of weight.
    The entire phrase 130kg - 150kg literally means 907kg. I'm glad we have the same standards for measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatemoney123 View Post
    The entire phrase 130kg - 150kg literally means 907kg. I'm glad we have the same standards for measurement.
    Actually, I think it literally means -20 kg.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    Actually, I think it literally means -20 kg.
    The RENT is TOO DAMN HIGH!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123