starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift and Power Clean with 6' bar?

Default Deadlift and Power Clean with 6' bar?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm doing the novice SS program and I work out at home. I find it time-consuming to remove all the plates from my 7' bar and then lift it out of the rack to set it up for the DL (after the bench press) or for the PC (after the Press - I'm 5'4" and Press inside my 7' rack without hindrance). Would it make any difference if I used a 6' bar to DL or PC, because I have one lying around and can transition to the pulls immediately after my bench or press?

Clean with whichever is the better oly bar.

I like that you're taking a tough strength routine, one that demands hard work, and inserting laziness in to the process.

Taking the plates off and setting up the bar on the floor is CARDIO! :-) I always tell everyone that I get more of a workout loading/unloading plates than actually lifting the bar. I would just stick with the normal bar and do the loading. There is a trick you can use to help load the bar for deadlifts and powercleans. After you get the first 45 on both sides, you can roll the bar onto a 2.5 or 5lb plate. This makes loading the rest of the plates real easy. I used to do this at my old gym. My new one actually has a bar loader.

Quote Originally Posted by RobCor View Post
    Clean with whichever is the better oly bar.

I like that you're taking a tough strength routine, one that demands hard work, and inserting laziness in to the process.
    Thanks for that perspective, man. I feel bad now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Taking the plates off and setting up the bar on the floor is CARDIO! :-) I always tell everyone that I get more of a workout loading/unloading plates than actually lifting the bar. I would just stick with the normal bar and do the loading. There is a trick you can use to help load the bar for deadlifts and powercleans. After you get the first 45 on both sides, you can roll the bar onto a 2.5 or 5lb plate. This makes loading the rest of the plates real easy. I used to do this at my old gym. My new one actually has a bar loader.
    Yeah, the workout is much more demanding with the loading and unloading. I actually enjoy it but the problem for me is that bending over to load/unload the bar for a DL or a PC and then to screw on the collars is killing my back. So with the loading trick you've mentioned, do you mean that it reduces the distance you need to bend over in order to load the plates?

It really doesn't reduce the distance much (like an inch), but you don't have to lift the bar to put the next plate on. Since the first 45lb (or 20kg plate for you) is raised a little, the others will go on much easier. Make sure to rest a little afterwards as well.

A bar loader will raise the bar much higher.

To unload the DL's, just take the plates off one side first. Then, raise the bar up on its end and let the other plates slide off. I have thought of lots of ways to lazily load/unload a bar! :-) At least I unload it though, most people at the gym just leave their weights on the bar.

My favorite is to put a 45 on each side and then just load 35s on. It looks a little silly, but you can still load several hundred pounds on without having to move the bar again. I actually started doing this because it's been hard to find more than two bumper plates at my gym that are actually the same weight (the 45s actually range from 42 to 47.25), but the regular plates only vary by a few ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    It really doesn't reduce the distance much (like an inch), but you don't have to lift the bar to put the next plate on. Since the first 45lb (or 20kg plate for you) is raised a little, the others will go on much easier. Make sure to rest a little afterwards as well.

A bar loader will raise the bar much higher.

To unload the DL's, just take the plates off one side first. Then, raise the bar up on its end and let the other plates slide off. I have thought of lots of ways to lazily load/unload a bar! :-) At least I unload it though, most people at the gym just leave their weights on the bar.
    Oh yeah, that makes sense. Not having to lift the bar to load the other plates should give my back some relief. And raising the bar to slide off the plates is a sterling idea as well. Thanks man!

Don't know if I can find a bar loader anywhere, though. There is no sports store in my city that even has a 7' barbell. They're full of fancy dumbbells and cricket gear. I had my bar custom-made for about $100 from a gym equipment manufacturer. Maybe I should get a bar loader made as well.

My gym has some older 45's that have a slightly larger diameter. Those go on first.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    My gym has some older 45's that have a slightly larger diameter. Those go on first.
    those are always sweet to have. I don't know why I don't always make it a point to find those and put them on first - simple visual inspection is sufficient to discover them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pacificmonk View Post
    Oh yeah, that makes sense. Not having to lift the bar to load the other plates should give my back some relief. And raising the bar to slide off the plates is a sterling idea as well. Thanks man!

Don't know if I can find a bar loader anywhere, though. There is no sports store in my city that even has a 7' barbell. They're full of fancy dumbbells and cricket gear. I had my bar custom-made for about $100 from a gym equipment manufacturer. Maybe I should get a bar loader made as well.
    EliteFTS sales a couple of bar jacks - though shipping them to India might be costly (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=114&pid=2982 and http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=197). Elieko has one or two on their site, too. If nothing else, it may help your fabrication crew design the thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast