starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I tell if I am making appropriate progress?

Default How can I tell if I am making appropriate progress?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been using the Kilgore/Rippetoe weightlifting standards as a basis of comparison to gauge whether I am making appropriate progress given the amount of time I have been training. Based on those standards I believed I was making reasonable gains. However, the article "A Clarification" and reports of individuals on these boards make it seem that I am far behind the curve. I believe my form is at least acceptable on all lifts (excluding PC) and in any case not bad enough to account for my drastic discrepancy in performance.

29, 6'3" 208lbs, skinny-fat, long arms/legs
    Deadlift 335 5RM
    Squat 265 5RM
    BP 180 5RM
    OP 115 3RM (test 3RM more recently than 5RM). This is weak even by the strength standards. I have been paying careful attention to my form and believe it is good.

I have been doing SS for about 9 months starting with no previous strength training.
    Programming: Slightly modified Texas method, 3 day program but training every second day (I alternate BP and OP but with each lift going from volume->light->intensity). I am varying reps/sets as I get stuck. Very rarely do I miss a training session.

Example of what might have been a recent week
    Mon:
    Squat: 255x8x3
    BP: 160x3x8
    RDL: 210x3x10
    Pull-ups 3 sets to failure (7,5,4)

Wed:
    Squat: 195x2x5
    P: 90x5x5
    Practice PC
    GHR, BW+10lbs 10,10,10
    Dips: BW, 10,6,4

Fri:
    Squat: 265x1x5
    DL: 335x1x5
    BP: 150x2x5
    Chins, 3 sets to failure (10,6,5)

Pull-ups, chins, and dips migrate days based on how long the workout is taking and whether I feel up to putting in a good work set given the other work I did.

Example of daily meal:
    6 scrambled eggs
    250ml cottage cheese
    2 x 4 oz hamburgers
    250ml cottage cheese
    1/4 chicken (breast) + veggies (sorry do not know exact measurements here)
    Milk: 1/3 gallon
    I stopped consuming a gallon of milk when my gains slowed and I quickly started gaining fat around my waist.

Sleep: Normally (see proviso below) 8 hours, enough to wake up naturally without alarm

Other factors:
    I suffer from deep depression and occasionally insomnia.

So what gives? Should I be more advanced than I am now? Is there any sensible reference against which I can measure progress so that I know to take corrective action?

Example of daily meal:
    6 scrambled eggs
    250ml cottage cheese
    2 x 4 oz hamburgers
    250ml cottage cheese
    1/4 chicken (breast) + veggies (sorry do not know exact measurements here)
    Milk: 1/3 gallon
    Is this one meal?

Isn't 9 months pretty long to get to your numbers? Especially for a 6'3" guy? I'm 5'10'', 170lbs (up from 145lbs), been doing the program about 10 weeks and not far off your numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Is this one meal?
    No, 5 meals + milk.

So all five meals consist of the food listed here? Really? Why are you asking this board a question which has been answered on this board 5000 times? You are banished to the Repetitive Inquiries Zone.

I've eaten a whole rotisserie chicken. A quarter of a chicken breast it NOT A MEAL.

Before everyone jumps on my for being thick at least let me say that this is my diet after I reduced it after my progress slowed (I believe as recommended by "A clarification"). I was on GOMAD and eating half a rotisserie chicken per meal etc. I was making consistent gains in lifts and my weight, then my gains slowed, even after resetting and weight started to appear to be predominately fat. I thought I was adjusting my food intake appropriately.

Don't worry if you're not making gains as quickly as others. You've got your whole life to train. You're doing fine. Just keep showing up and putting out. Keep setting PR's and don't compare yourself to other people.

no offense but your lifts are really low for 9 months of linear progression, even microloading with consistent gains would've put you higher

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    I have been using the Kilgore/Rippetoe weightlifting standards as a basis of comparison to gauge whether I am making appropriate progress given the amount of time I have been training. Based on those standards I believed I was making reasonable gains. However, the article "A Clarification" and reports of individuals on these boards make it seem that I am far behind the curve.

So what gives? Should I be more advanced than I am now? Is there any sensible reference against which I can measure progress so that I know to take corrective action?
    Everyone's results differ. Individuals that report here are a self-selected group. Probably a large number of those who report are proud of their progress because it is above average. Those that make less than above average progress are sometimes ridiculed so perhaps don't post their results.

You had no previous training so probably started squatting less than 100 lbs for work sets. Now you can squat 265 for five reps. Not many people can do that.

You didn't mention if you are satisfied with your progress or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast