starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I microload to avoid stalling soon?

Default UPDATE: My squat stalled :(

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there any worth in microloading from workout to workout to delay stalling so soon? Or am I just delaying the inevitable?

I started the program yesterday and based on how much Rip recommends you add from workout to workout (and I'm going on the lesser amounts for women), it seems that I'll stall out in a few weeks if I'm doing the math correctly.

For example....I used 95lb for my 3x5 squat. Well, I know that my max is 135lb. So if I add just 5lbs per workout, I"ll stall after 8 workouts. Squatting three times a week means I'll stall in three weeks. For my press, I used 50lb for 3x5. I could work up to 65lb max, maybe 60lb. So even if I add just 2.5 lbs per workout, I'd stall after 4-6 workouts.

Should I add on even less weight than that per workout?
    Last edited by Squeen; 12-24-2012 at 06:47 PM.

why would you stall? The plan is to get stronger while running SS.

Apparently your maxes are permanent and it is impossible to ever increase them.

See how it's going. You may want to start micro loading earlier. But there's no need to start micro loading right from the start. You'll micro load maybe after 115 or something. But again, see how things go. Stalling is okay, it just means you found your limit and need to either deload or change up the program to an intermediate method.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeen View Post
    For example....I used 95lb for my 3x5 squat. Well, I know that my max is 135lb. So if I add just 5lbs per workout, I"ll stall after 8 workouts. Squatting three times a week means I'll stall in three weeks.
    No, it doesn't. You won't stall that quickly. It seems you're over-thinking this. Adaptation happens, you get stronger quickly in the first several weeks and months. By the time you get to 3 sets of 5 reps at 135 you'll be ready for the next workout at 140. As you progress and ultimately start to stall, you'll figure out when/how to microload. Microloading is designed to continue linear gains after you start stalling on the larger jumps in weight. Also, and this is just specalatin' on my part, I doubt microloading so early in the program will cause enough stress workout to workout to cause the adaptations you want and allow you to take advantage of the wonders of the novice effect. When you're squatting 150 3x5 in a few weeks you'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeen View Post
    I know that my max is 135lb. So if I add just 5lbs per workout, I"ll stall after 8 workouts.
    By the time you get to 135 again, your max will be higher.

This is actually the entire point of progressive resistance training. One day you realise you're warming up with your old max.

Worry about stalling when you stall. This might be later on than you currently imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    why would you stall? The plan is to get stronger while running SS.
    I know what the program is supposed to help with but I'm worried that I'll stall early on. Maybe because I'm starting with the wrong weight?

Quote Originally Posted by PFerrari View Post
    See how it's going. You may want to start micro loading earlier. But there's no need to start micro loading right from the start. You'll micro load maybe after 115 or something. But again, see how things go. Stalling is okay, it just means you found your limit and need to either deload or change up the program to an intermediate method.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    No, it doesn't. You won't stall that quickly. It seems you're over-thinking this. Adaptation happens, you get stronger quickly in the first several weeks and months. By the time you get to 3 sets of 5 reps at 135 you'll be ready for the next workout at 140. As you progress and ultimately start to stall, you'll figure out when/how to microload. Microloading is designed to continue linear gains after you start stalling on the larger jumps in weight. Also, and this is just specalatin' on my part, I doubt microloading so early in the program will cause enough stress workout to workout to cause the adaptations you want and allow you to take advantage of the wonders of the novice effect. When you're squatting 150 3x5 in a few weeks you'll see!
    Thanks for the feedback. It took me about two years of not squatting frequently to get to 135lb. So I just figured that if it took me so long to get up to 135lb, how would it be possible for me to overtake that number much any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Aaron View Post
    By the time you get to 135 again, your max will be higher.

This is actually the entire point of progressive resistance training. One day you realise you're warming up with your old max.

Worry about stalling when you stall. This might be later on than you currently imagine.
    It just seems that such a quick progression is called for in the program. I know females can add less each workout. But even then, when I work out the progressions in my head, it leaves me confused as to how other people can progress so quickly. Like I said above, it took me forever to be able to squat a measly 135. So if I start at 95lb and add 5-10 lbs every workout, I'm not gonna be able to add on much past 135lb in the time frame that the program encourages (ie by time frame I mean that it says to keep adding weight each workout). I get that novices would be expected to make steady gains at first. But I wouldn't peg myself as the greenest of novices. This isn't my first time working with the big lifts so it's taken me some time to get to where I am.

Yes, maybe I'm overthinking it. Yesterday I used 95lb as my starting squat weight. Tomorrow I should add 105 which will make the bar slow but I'll be able to get my 15 reps in. But then two days later it'll be 115lb and three days after that, 125lb, then 135 again. So I'll be at my maximum squat weight in 6 workouts or two weeks. And I'm just gonna be able to suddenly add 10 lbs the workout after that and squat 3x5 @ 145lb? Damn, I hope you guys are correct!
    Last edited by Squeen; 12-02-2012 at 08:00 PM.

You are over thinking it. It will be fine. I wouldn't do 10 lb jumps.

Just lift.

No 10lbs jumps for you. That is for grown males who are eating. 2.5-5lbs jumps will work better in your situation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    You are over thinking it. It will be fine. I wouldn't do 10 lb jumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Just lift.

No 10lbs jumps for you. That is for grown males who are eating. 2.5-5lbs jumps will work better in your situation.
    Alright, thanks. I'll just stop worrying and lift the fuckin weight and whatever happens, happens. I think 5lb jumps for the squat, 10 lb for the DL, and then 2.5 for the press, bench press and PC would work. We don't have 1.25lb plates but other day I weighed one of the two types of bar clamps that we have and they weigh 2.5lb per pair so that'll be perfect for small jumps.
    Last edited by Squeen; 12-02-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast