starting strength gym

Thread: Hip Replacement surgery

Default Hip Replacement surgery

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have only recently discovered this site and this is my first thread/post here. Simply put, I will be having hip replacement surgery at the end of the summer and was wondering if Rip (or anyone else) has ever trained anyone who has had this type of procedure. My surgeon wants to do the resurfacing procedure, which is called a "Birmingham Hip" and is easier to recover from, but he won't be sure until he gets in and actually sees the joint. I am 54 years old and had put 28 years into Powerlifting, but I know those days are behind me. Still, I'd like to be able to maintain some strength but I'm going down what is for me an unknown path. Anybody have any advice?

I have been training a guy slightly older than you who had the resurfacing done about two years ago. He could do all the lifts except squats. Unfortunately, he just had a total replacement done on his other hip last month. He's been unable to squat to proper depth because of a bone spur on that side. I'm interested to see how well he does after rehab. He has many other issues as well, such as kyphosis and tight hip flexors that cause hyperextension in his lumbar, so I have to constantly cue him. He was never a lifter, so his aspirations may be considerably less than yours, but he enjoys the lifting and has made slow, steady progress. I also have a friend who had a total hip replacement last fall and she has started squatting again, but I haven't visited with her recently so I'm not sure how heavy.

I guess my advise would be to get everything you can out of rehab, then start slowly.

I just had femora acetabular impingement (FAI) hip surgery last month to repair my labrum tears and also to smooth the bone spurs and minor arthritis off my femur head. I will have this same procedure on the right side next year. I was born with hip dysplasia, so that added to the impingement. I know we are talking two separate issues, but I am only thirty and was facing a hip replacement in the next 10 years if I didn't do this procedure. So, I have been reading a lot on post op / post rehab weight lifting, and deep squats are out for me and should be for THR also. Even though my hips will be healed , the joint will always be sensitive going forward. I have seen a lot of guys do hack squats to 90 degrees, seated leg press sled to 90 degree. Also, deadlifts are okay if they have good leverages. If not, use trap bar to keep your hip flexion at 90 deg. Cycling is cool, just watch the hip flexion. NO lunges, recumbent bikes, or treadmills.

I have learn that keeping those hips mobile, really working on hip internal and external rotation in crucial. Also, strengthening and mobilizing the hip adductors and abductors is key.

I will be cycling, hack squats, trap bar deads, rack pulls, leg curls, leg extension, and even prowlers pushes. Mix these up and you'll be fine.

Some guys I know had this procedure and are back running marathons, doing BJJ, MMA, and even squatting. Just go easy on the hips man. Sorry I ramble
    Last edited by aporter600; 05-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.

Do some research on this guy

http://www.umm.edu/orthopaedic/wensich.htm

Here's another good resource

http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic49729.html#b
    Last edited by aporter600; 05-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.

I had a full hip replacement almost 3 years ago. Aside from being told to avoid jogging (the jarring from running could potentially affect the bond between the metal and bone) I was pretty much given the go ahead to do whatever I wanted aside from that. I crushed my hip in a sports accident which is why I had to have it done so young.

I've been lifting and doing whatever I want since then. I don't even really notice that I have a metal joint now. I can put my hands flat on the floor, squat as low as I could before the surgery, etc. I have no problem squatting, deadlifting, doing kettlebell swings...anything I want to be honest. Time will tell about the longevity of the joint I have (metal on metal) but so far I'm very happy with my hip. I'm 45 now and my hip has allowed me to get stronger than I was before I had the surgery.

If you fly regularly be prepared to be pulled aside each time when you go through the gate. Let me know if you have any questions about the procedure, recovery or whatever.
    Last edited by KJ43; 05-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks to all who have replied! It sounds as though I may not lose as much functionality as I have been told. KJ43, your experience is especially encouraging. How long was it before you were able to get your range of motion back?

Not long. I was already pretty flexible beforehand. I was given the go ahead to do whatever I wanted 4 weeks after my surgery. I was doing dips about 1 week after surgery just to do something.

At the 4 week point I started squatting very light and was able to hit parallel no problem. I was weak as hell though. I was probably another few months after that that I felt semi normal. Honestly before I felt completely recovered it was about a year.

Still...I was able to move and do what I wanted relatively quickly. My leg was sore for a while and the worst pain was a deep bruising of the bone around my knees where the clamps held my leg in place while they sawed the top of my femur off and did whatever they did to get the metal in there.

If you want to get out of the hospital faster do a lot of dips and pullups beforehand because you'll be using your upper body to move yourself around. They won't release you until you can get yourself out of bed, walk around and get back in bed.

I was lucky. My surgeon was an old soviet army surgeon that served in Afghanistan. He didn't try to hold me back or tell me what I could or couldn't do. Your mileage may vary on how lucky you are with who you get.

Other people who have had hip replacements and kept lifting are Ricky Crane, Clarance Bass and Dan John just recently. I had the opportunity to train a few times with Dan recently while he was here in the Bay Area and we got to compare some notes on our surgeries.
    Last edited by KJ43; 05-17-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks, KJ. You are becoming my hero with regards to this situation. I did talk with Ricky Crain awhile back. The only thing usefull he could tell me was to get as strong as I could before the surgery, which I'm doing anyway. And my surgeon is very good. I work in a large hospital and have known him for years.

starting strength coach development program
    Aw shucks. Thanks man. It didn't seem like I had many choices on how to move forward if I wasn't willing to give up.

Sounds like you got great advice from Ricky. You might have it even better if you are doing the resurfacing as you'll be keeping more of the femur. I wish I could have had that one instead, but a previous surgery on my hip left me no choice except the full replacement.

Good luck on your surgery and definitely give an update on how it went for you.