starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Overhead Pressing and Low Ceilings

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    I realize I'm resurrecting an ancient thread, but the problems I face are similar, and am too lazy to start a new one. My garage is about 80" high and I'm 72" tall, so trying to press between the beams doesn't really work. I've been power cleaning the bar out in the driveway when I press, but as my press has gone up, its become more difficult to get into the right grip position and what not, and so need a new solution. I've thought about just getting some cheap squat stands, but even the basic Rogue ES-1s are around $275 which is a bit steep. Cleveland's Craiglist pickings are not that great for gym equipment, and so am wondering if a DIY solution would work. Has anybody tried the 2x4 in the bucket filled with concrete solution? I wouldn't feel comfortable squatting with it, but with the lower weights of the press, it might be ok?
    Cheap $75 stands from amazon would be fine for this purpose, as would the concrete buckets and 2x4's deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Cheap $75 stands from amazon would be fine for this purpose
    Awesome. Hadn't really thought of looking there. Those would work nicely for this, and unlike the CAP squat stand mgilchrest mentioned would also store easier in the garage. The wife is starting to lose patience with the expanding collection of hardware as it becomes harder to park both cars in the garage.

I had the same issue I remember when starting. I used to overhead press sitting down or on an upright bench, but it was horrible - hurt my back, form was bad and really hard to progress.
    I then tried the powerclean-to-press outside method, but as others noted the weather will screw you - great fun in the rain. In my instance all the neighbors would also come outside to peer at me doing it, which really made me uncomfortable and threw me off, that and I had a sloped driveway.

In the end I managed to just load up the bar with tonnes of 2.5/5KG plates to keep the height low and go barefoot. Sometimes I would pay for a day pass at a gym on press day. Tough times.

I wonder if anyone makes plates with a hole close to the rim.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    I wonder if anyone makes plates with a hole close to the rim.

IPB
    KB's with handles big enough for the bar to slide thru.

or . . .

OR . . .

buy some 2 1/2" id XXHVY wall iron pipe say 12"-16" long. . . .would be about 15 lbs per side.

each week weld a little on the circumference to add weight . . . . blacksmith's take on the Milo of Croton thing

same issue. 70 inches tall. when pressing indoors sometimes i stupidly sit on my bench with no back support. like a true darwin award candidate!

and or use my rogue loadable pins. also use a wider grip so i dont hit the ceiling.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-loading-pin

i also use them for kroc rows, dips, pullups, ''atlas stones'', and DB curls. also, when i lift outside i load em up and wheel their asses outside like the true lazy fuck that i am.

very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    same issue. 70 inches tall. when pressing indoors sometimes i stupidly sit on my bench with no back support. like a true darwin award candidate!
    It was good enough for Pat Casey:

what if one were to kneel and press?

Quote Originally Posted by galensjp01 View Post
    I'm getting ready to start the program and my house has really low ceilings so my only option may end up being overhead pressing while sitting down (or kneeling on a pillow etc.) I know this challenges the midsection much less but will I still be getting most of the benefits as compared to a normal standing press?
    I have pondering the same question ... not into digging up my garage ... outside lifting sounds great in California, not so in the UK, well for most of the year ... so my tuppence worth is using a cambered bar or a cambered bar extension anyone tried?

Thought about raising the roof of the garage but too expensive and would need planning permission.

Default Overhead pressing with low ceiling solution

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by galensjp01 View Post
    I'm getting ready to start the program and my house has really low ceilings so my only option may end up being overhead pressing while sitting down (or kneeling on a pillow etc.) I know this challenges the midsection much less but will I still be getting most of the benefits as compared to a normal standing press?
    I made a barbell attachment using old black pipe that I had laying around.
    I attached pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (16.0 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (15.4 KB, 26 views)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123