starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead Pressing and Low Ceilings

Default Overhead Pressing and Low Ceilings

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting ready to start the program and my house has really low ceilings so my only option may end up being overhead pressing while sitting down (or kneeling on a pillow etc.) I know this challenges the midsection much less but will I still be getting most of the benefits as compared to a normal standing press?

take the weights outside?

no you won't get the same benefits sitting as you would on a standing press.

I'm going to be dealing with this when I get my weight set at home. I'm 6'2" with a 7' ceiling where the weights are going to be, and dragging the rack outside every time I want to press is going to be a real bummer. Even if I build a rack to leave outside, I will still have to drag the weighs and bar out there, and count on the weather to be good.

I'll figure out a way, like pressing at work (my current gym), but would like to see more input.

When I press in my low-ceilinged basement, I have to stick with 25s as the biggest plates or I hit the subfloor above. I also have to position myself carefully to ensure the plates go between the joists. Maybe using smaller plates would help depending on how low it is.

I also saw someone (on this board I think) that dug a "pressing pit" in their basement. That's dedication.

I press in a basement too and this is the first time I've been happy to be short. I just avoid bumper plates and I have no problem.

My equipment is in my basement, and I'm usually pressed for time and have children running around upstairs, so I just press seated. I am certain that it is not ideal. My bench just hit 235x5 today, while my press PR is 140x5. I think (and hope) that part of the reason for this is simply that I press seated. One thing I've considered is to use my adjustable dumbbells upstairs. So far I have not.

To the person talking about bringing the rack outside, if I was to press outside I'd just clean the weight before pressing, rather than bringing a rack or squat stands outside.

If my basement had a dirt floor I'd dig a pressing pit. Hmm, maybe I could stand in my sump pump's hole.

Press on.

Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    If my basement had a dirt floor I'd dig a pressing pit. Hmm, maybe I could stand in my sump pump's hole.
    The pit I saw was cut through the concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by niclane View Post
    The pit I saw was cut through the concrete floor.
    I have been considering this option. Though I think it would be a wiser option in the long-term, since I have room, to put another building on my property to suit my needs.

What would the cost be to dig a pit in a basement? It seems like it would be ridiculously expensive for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jsteffen80 View Post
    What would the cost be to dig a pit in a basement? It seems like it would be ridiculously expensive for what it is.
    Honestly you can do it in a few hours with a masonry blade on a framing saw, shovel, wood to build a simple form, and 12 bags of quikrete. Total cost $50.00 or so.

starting strength coach development program
    I have the same situation and just press outside. Its not ideal, since the weather can screw you, but it happens a lot less than you think. Ive pressed in rain and snow, etc. Its basically only thunderstorms or downpours that you cant lift through.

I have a set of squat stands i use to do it, which i keep under a patio out back, but wouldnt be too bad to take in and out of the house if I had to since they are 2 individual stands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast