starting strength gym

Thread: Band and peg set up on R3?

Default Band and peg set up on R3?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know there are several ways to set up bands. I've used bands for deads and I really feel like they help my screwed up lower back and stretch my hamstrings.

should I be using short bands or ling ones for my R3 pins on deads? Should I be seperating the pins As much as possible and trying to mimick the setup of the rogue deadlift platform, with both sides of the band over the bar? Or using one pin and going around the bar?

I know I could just do it any old way, but I would rather do it the ideal way since I have the westside rack and the 4 pins with lots of holes.
    I tried to look it up but only find reverse bands?

Thanks in advance.

The mini bands are better for deads and bench. They only need one peg to work but two can be used for faster tension. The big bands can be used like they do on the Rogue platform. Just go max width and run the band right over the bar. The thing about the big bands is you either have one side or both over the bar. With one side over you can get unbalanced loads. With both over you get really, really crazy tension as you go up. The mini bands are ferocious. Very strong stuff. But you won't be using them for squats or press. That's why I have both big and mini bands.

Well I have both sets of bands. Elite was running a sale like a year ago and I got them all for a few dollars each.

I remember I liked the long ones, felt a little bit more stretchy while working in on some one else's set up at the gym, the resistance felt better since they weren't stretched almost to the max. However the set up was tied on one side,which I wouldn't wanna do.

I guess I will just used the short bands since you seem to think its better 4th.
    So far everything you have told me to buy or use has been spot on. So I'm best starting off with your advice. Thanks. My floor is slightly slanted so I figure even a light band can keep it from rolling around on me. I will give the long bands a try as well ( double over) platform style.

Do you use bands in your standing press?
    Last edited by MEbigUsmall; 06-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Its just a lot easier to stay balanced with the short bands. You will probably use two pins to get tension closer to the bottom. On bench presses they kick in about half way up. With deadlifts you don't want uneven tension with the big bands. So there is a lot of adjusting going on. Kind of a pain. Either way works though. I just prefer the short ones.

Thanks. Do you OHP with bands?

I do. Usually with the next to smallest blue bands and 60% or so on the bar. I set the bands to hit hard right at the top half sticking point. This is wicked good stuff.

How do you adjust the bands to hit different sticking points, do you just wrap them differently or raise the pins Ina differ t hole?

Just spread the pegs out. With long bands you need two pegs per side to set the tension and keep it steady. I have the center of the two pegs even with where the midpoint of where my feet will be. I put them on so that when racked there is more tension on the back side because unracking and stepping back will even it out.

Using an empty bar you just move the pegs in or out until the bands start seriously resisting when the bar is approaching the top sticking point. That's really where you want it. Any tighter and actually finishing a rep is too hard or impossible. Any sooner and you either have too much momentum and its easy or it gets hard when your finishing the rep and transitioning under the bar. That's bad.

starting strength coach development program
    I get it now thanks.