starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow/wrist pain

Default Elbow/wrist pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Have any of you had pain from benching? I recently benched 245 and then did some body-weight dips afterward. I didn't feel anything weird during my bench press workout but got some nasty zingers emanating from my wrists and up a few inches when I set up for each set of dips. I grip the bar as per SS instructions for the bench and I grip the dip bars similarly.

Any similar experiences? Any solutions?

I know there are wrist wraps out there but I am unfamiliar with them. I don't know if they are warranted and these weights, I don't know how to use them specifically, and I don't know what effect they might have.

The elbows were just sore. I imagine they'll adapt. The wrist pain is the most concerning.

This happened to me yesterday. Kind of a tendonitis/pins and needles type feeling in the forearm/lower elbow happening right after the weighted dips. I use the wider handles on the dips and attributed it to this. Pain has disappeared today.

I've had tingling in my hands for months now, since march I believe. Any of the pulling motions would send electrical shocks through my fingers, I could press/bench/chin but i couldnt do DL/Rows/Pullups. I have taken multiple breaks including one as long as a month. The doc said it was carpal tunnel but none of the "tests" for it came back positive. It's getting better but it's taken a long time. Just avoid the motions that really cause the trouble, and back down the weights.

I've had some major wrist pain after a month long stint of doing push presses from the front. I only noticed the pain when I set up to do flat/incline bench, and wrongly attributed the pain to the benching because I didn't actually notice it while push pressing. I've stopped push pressing and the pain has started to go away. Yesterday was actually my first time benching since June without any pain what so ever. Just eliminate the exercises that causes the pain and find a good substitute.
    My only advice would be to figure which of the two exercises (bench or dips) is causing your pain. I thought for a long time that benching was giving me elbow tendonitis, when in fact it was the low bar squatting done immediately before giving me problems. Once you find the culprit, sub in a suitable alternative such as DB pressing until you feel back to normal.

Thanks for your input folks. I'll see how the next few workouts go. Then I am forced to not lift for a little more than a week for a backpacking trip. The break from the trip may be enough to heal things up a bit. We'll see.

starting strength coach development program
    I've started using wrist wraps recently for wrist pain from bench, cleans, press, etc. and they seem to be working great. Note that wrist wraps and wrist straps are two different things. Wrist wraps wrap around your wrists tightly and basically provide a sort of pedestal to support your hands and prevent the wrists from extending in awkward/painful ways. I only use them for heavy work sets.