starting strength gym

Thread: Knee Wraps as part of mental training

Default Knee Wraps as part of mental training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Guys,

Not sure if this sounds mad. But, here goes with an idea. Stats first

41yrs. BW91 (with bodyfat), Squat 1rm 180kg, Bench 125kg, Dead 215ish kg.

I am toying with the idea of dusting of my old knee wraps from single ply days as part of my heavy x3 day (TM) once a month. Only to get use to the weight on the shoulders to beat the mind games.

This would increase each month inline with standard non wraps. i.e. if I hit 170kg x 3, then I would then wrap up and try 175kg x 3, then 180kg x 3 at end of month. BUT not rely on them only as extra heavy day. And be 100% strict on using them once per month!!

I am targetting comp next April (first in 20 years).

Sound like a plan or keep them well away?

If the meet does not allow then don't use em unless you have knee pain or something.

But if it is allowed then use them on ID every week or both VD and ID.

Meet says no hence the idea of using 1xmonth, i but this is only to get used to heavier weights on my shoulders and can be used as a conditioner for the other parts of the body (torso etc).

I think you have the right idea with doing this. Since it is just to get a feel for the heavier weights go come, I don't see the harm in wrapping your knees once a month.

You were competing before so I guess you have an idea what works and doesn't for you. I guess that would be fine if that's what you want to do. It sounds reasonable but I wouldn't do it if it were me. And if I were to do some form of overload work I'd just do walkouts. But that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    You were competing before so I guess you have an idea what works and doesn't for you. I guess that would be fine if that's what you want to do. It sounds reasonable but I wouldn't do it if it were me. And if I were to do some form of overload work I'd just do walkouts. But that's just me.
    X2.

Knee wraps alter the mechanics of the squat too much to be favorable when a meet is approaching. Box squats, paused squats, squats with chains or bands all offer overload in a more applicable way, IMO.

I haven't tried them, but I also think walkouts won't beat the shit out of you even if you do them once a week as compared to once a month of using knee wraps.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks guys. Good point on the walk-outs and mechanics. Currently there are no barbell gyms where I am so its a bit of flying a kite. Where I used to live in old comp days I know of 4.. each with chains etc that still are there.

As for competing in the past... I had to re-learn squats last year after not squating for 19 years due to parachute injury.. so in effect I am a newbie to this with flashes of ideas from the past coming back. I really do appreciate your time and effort!