starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating and SS

Default Eating and SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My third post for today. - rock-on toonttm!

This is directed at people doing the novice program.
    (it is my second attempt)

Eating!!!!!! Every time I read a thread on someone saying that things aren't working out, everyone says "EAT MORE"

I never had a problem, my lifts increased, I lost belly fat and increased body weight (41 years old). But then things slowed down...

I always thought I ate heaps, in fact, I am considered some what of a pig, lol. I am always eating. So when I read the many posts about eating, I laughed, as I certainly understood that you needed food, but obviously "I ate enough."

Well, just had a few days off for the flu and got bored. So I dragged everything out of the food pantry, fridge, freezer, even googled things like chicken and beef to get some numbers, then I put it all into a spread sheet.

It turns out, that while I think I am a pig I am actually hitting around 2500 calories a day! I am 41 so I like to think I watch what I eat, but as above, I consider myself a pig! I am always eating. So now I know, all this time I thought I was eating heaps, I actually need to 'up' my food. I don't know how as I already think I eat too much (does this sound familiar to those who are struggling to gain weight?)

So now I'm going to try to hit up too 3500 calories. I will be interested to see how it goes. 8 weeks ago I was 83.7kg when injury stopped SS attempt #1, this week I have weighed myself every day and I haven't broke 80kg.

I also started loading creatine today, plan to do so for the next 4 days then back to a maintenance dose (no creatine for the last 8 weeks)

So morale of this post: You think you are eating enough - you aren't!

How do you plan to get your cals up??

I find the eating part real tough, fussy eater, naturally skinny. Milk, protien shakes and 'junk' are about the only things I can use to get my weight up.

Quote Originally Posted by t0m6 View Post
    How do you plan to get your cals up??
    2 words: Peanut. Butter.

You can eat them separately or this funny combination of the two you find in a jar sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    2 words: Peanut. Butter.

You can eat them separately or this funny combination of the two you find in a jar sometimes.
    I like bagels toasted, smothered in butter, and then slathered in peanut butter. Wash down with chocolate milk (full fat stuff).

At 41, I would also get your hormonal levels checked.

Make sure you only go 200-300 cals over maintenance, at your age fat won't pay dividends.

Opps, I don't know how to multiple quote: But...

At 41, I rock...I really do: your responses shows a total lack of 'lol'
    Ahh..you young bucks..you think 41 is old..pfft..hahhahaha
    you wait till you get to 40...you think your late 20s are cool?
    40s rock....opps forgot about 30s...that was when I patched, let's just forget that 10 years, lol

Quote Originally Posted by toonttm View Post
    Opps, I don't know how to multiple quote: But...
    Yeah, cant wait to be unable to use new technology.

Just add olive oil to everything. Calories go up like crazy. Also, cream with any fruit you eat.

You have to be able to have some idea of what the calories involved are in what you're eating. Calorie or macro counting to get an idea of portion size when you begin is a good idea. It gets easy to eyeball later.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh noes! however will you be able to eat over 2500 calories?! A cruel fate indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast