starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Including the Bar Weight?

Default Including the Bar Weight?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey,

I have been doing the Practical Programming Novice Program for about a week. In the Logbook Calculator, I have entered the weight of the plates, without including the bar's weight (45 lbs).

Once I've added the bar weight to my test results, I notice that every time I start an exercise, I would be using an empty bar. Is that correct? For the past 3 sessions I have been adding 45 lbs to the bar for my first warmup set.

I have attached my Logbook Calculator Excel Spreadsheet with my Test Weight results including the bar, and without the bar. Should I keep doing the program without including the bar in the test results, or should I switch to the program including the bar?

Logbook Calculator Including Bar Weight: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-T...nViaVM2bmRkZHc

Logbook Calculator Without Bar Weight: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-T...ldobnRmV19CT2s

Note: You may have to click on the Zoom In tool to view the spreadsheet.

Thank you in advance,

Gary C.
    Last edited by derderppolo; 08-20-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Yes, you always include the weight of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Yes, you always include the weight of the bar.
    Thank you, but I go to a rather busy gym and I find it rather embarrassing to be doing 2 sets of squats/bench/press/deadlifts with an empty bar.

Quote Originally Posted by derderppolo View Post
    Thank you, but I go to a rather busy gym and I find it rather embarrassing to be doing 2 sets of squats/bench/press/deadlifts with an empty bar.
    Is an empty bar the right place to start? If it's too easy, start higher. If you don't want to do it just because it looks silly then you may as well just quit now.
    Just use the standard way for finding your starting weights and go from there.

EDIT: Misunderstood the discussion, you can ignore this post.
    Last edited by Corrie; 08-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Is an empty bar the right place to start? If it's too easy, start higher. If you don't want to do it just because it looks silly then you may as well just quit now.
    Just use the standard way for finding your starting weights and go from there.
    If you're doing SS, you always start with an empty bar, except for deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrofbass View Post
    If you're doing SS, you always start with an empty bar, except for deadlifts.
    Oh I see what he means now, I misread.

Yes, you always do your opening sets with an empty bar. If its embarassing then I suggest you suck it up because no one in the gym cares.

But really if you can do your worksets and not need warmup sets then go nuts.
    Last edited by Corrie; 08-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by derderppolo View Post
    Well, be glad that you don't lift at my gym because your ass would be kicked out sooner rather than later.

I suggest you get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Well, be glad that you don't lift at my gym because your ass would be kicked out sooner rather than later.

I suggest you get over yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63lFGSwvyGI
    The two reps starting at 0:36. That's pretty cool. It should be in the CF Games. I wonder if i can do that with iron plates if i throw them down hard enough....

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    I wonder if i can do that with iron plates if i throw them down hard enough....
    That sounds like an excellent use for a 7 day trial pass at 24hr/LA Fitness/etc. If it doesn't work on the first try, keep at it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    I wonder if i can do that with iron plates if i throw them down hard enough....
    Please do this and video. I'll be your BFF.

ETA: Please do it at a 24hr/LA Fitness as suggested by niclane.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast