starting strength gym
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Eating Through the Sticking Points

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm glad this article got bumped, since I had never seen it until now.

There's one point made that I disagree with vehemently. It's an individual thing, I suppose, and I just happen to fall on the complete opposite end of the spectrum than Matt and apparently the rest of the world.

It is INFINITELY easier for me to eat 7000 calories of whatever I want than it is to "diet." When I was trying to lose weight (on and off for the last couple years), I would frequently get headaches and just be miserable. I wasn't even on a huge deficit... I just wasn't getting what I wanted out of food. If I wanted some chocolate covered raisins, I couldn't have them. When I switched to Jordan's macro approach, it was a little better, but I hated tracking food and hated having to limit myself to those macros. If it was the end of the day and I wanted some cereal or something, I couldn't do it because it wouldn't fit the macros. Then I'd get mad and no one wanted to be around me.

I'd give anything to be able to go back to college. My college always ranks in the top 5 of college dining halls in the country, and for good reason. If I knew then what I knew now, I would have taken full advantage of that all-you-can-eat-of-anything-three-times-a-day lifestyle, and I'd probably be a very different person today. But alas, I found Starting Strength about 7 years too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Simma Park View Post
    Um, organ meats, fish roe, some shellfish, etc. all contain vitamin C, especially when it is consumed raw, as it frequently is by Inuit peoples. I don't know where you're getting this idea that you can't get vitamin C except from muktuk or vegetable matter.

I mean, clearly, the Inuit did not suffer from scurvy, so it should logically follow that the food they ate contained adequate C.
    I thought the inuit people eating raw meat was a bit of a myth and only sometimes do this? Can't remember where I read this but the guy went and stayed with a tribe of inuits (supposedly) and talked about how most of the meat is cooked.

My apatite increased only by reading all the foods mentioned in the article😛

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Matt Reynolds

I don’t care what your cholesterol numbers are.

Article
    really - is that good advice ? And really,as a strength organization, don't care about health ?

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    really - is that good advice ? And really,as a strength organization, don't care about health ?
    You missed the point of the article, old guy. But aside from that you're revealing your assumptions and biases and we already know they are wrong. Cholesterol doesn't = health, not in the least. You're way behind even the lagging edge of mainstream medicine if you're focusing on that marker out of context. It doesn't even match to diet in the way the article seems to suggest - sensitivity of blood lipids to diet varies wildly with genetics and other factors.

Default This can't be healthy

I’d eat until I felt sick. Then I’d eat Fruity Pebbles or other cereal because no matter how full I was, it always seemed I could get down a big bowl of cereal. As soon as I felt like I wasn’t going to be sick, I’d eat again.
    Sounds like inverse anorexia to me. No thanks.

Bigorexia: total opposite of anorexia

Can you possibly be this dense? Looking at your posting history, I realize that you can.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Harcourt View Post
    Sounds like inverse anorexia to me. No thanks.
    Is your reading comprehension so poor that you're unable to comprehend the basic sentiment of the opening few sentences?

This is not an article on how to look good. It’s not really an article on how to be healthy either. It’s an article on how to get big and strong. I couldn’t care less if you look like a bodybuilder or a Hollister model or anything in between. I don’t care if you have abs. I don’t care what your cholesterol numbers are. What I do care about is that you’re weak.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567