starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying plates in Michigan.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you order from York in volume shipping isn't that big a deal by freight.

Definitely hit up craigslist with "bumper plates" and Olympic plates. That is how I bought all of my weights. Also look for local auction houses/online auctions in your area. At least one of these will handle local gyms going out of business. Here in the DC/Baltimore area my local auction house has at least one sale every two weeks from a commercial gym going bust. I bought a full size York GHR for $200 and this was a hardly used commercial model. I also paid $100 for an older Westside reverse hyper and it included both 125lbs of plates and an extra strap. Full size $1500 power cages usually go for $200 to $300, but you will need a couple of friends to come tear it down and load it on your truck.

You get the idea. If you are frugal and take your time you can get some real deals.

Shipping should be free from Rogue on steel plates or bumpers - I just checked. $1.50/lb for Aders

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Shipping should be free from Rogue on steel plates or bumpers - I just checked. $1.50/lb for Aders
    Sure about that? I just ordered some bumpers from Rogue and shipping was most definitely not free. Or is it free for Michigan, specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Sure about that? I just ordered some bumpers from Rogue and shipping was most definitely not free. Or is it free for Michigan, specifically?
    On this link for steel it says that shipping is included
    http://www.roguefitness.com/black-steel-plates.php

And on this link for bumpers it says that shipping is free in the white zone which appears to include New York
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-bu...by-hi-temp.php

That's what it looks like to me anyway???

Try putting the plates in the shopping cart and you will find that shipping is not free.

You're right about the steel ones but the bumpers are still showing $0 for the shipping with a big red "ships for free" sign next to the item

starting strength coach development program
    Craigslist. If you use an RSS Reader, that is the ticket. It can send you an alert anytime something comes up and you can usually call the same day. I live in a town about 1/2 the size of Flint. And waaayy more isolated. If you do craigslist, you can find all that you need for a lot less. It just takes patience.

I just got 500lb of plates, a decent power rack, crappy but functional bar, bench with back extension/leg curl add-on (don't know if it works or not), pulley thingy for lats and triceps crap work that I'm throwing away, a bunch of dumbbells (again, tossing), like 6 pairs of collars (why he needed 6 I have no idea) and various ropes and odd shaped handles, a curl bar, some rubber floor mats, and a weight tree, and he delivered the whole thing helped me put the rack together for $450.

They just remodeled my gym. Turned it from a no frills gym with chalk everywhere, a bunch of empty racks, bumpers, and plenty of room to move, into a clean, 3 racks with all kinds of useless extra gear attached, hex plates, all stuffed into a tiny corner of the main room between the bb courts and 150 treadmills and stair steppers and shit. Canceling my gym membership tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12