starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My form check thread.

Default My form check thread.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches, I was at the previous Brooklyn SS seminar. I have some form issues I still need to work out. I'm taking recordings of my lifts and would like some input and feedback. Thanks.

Bodyweight: 205 lbs
    Squat: 245 x 3 x 5 but had to reduce weight back to 200 now because of bad form
    Deadlift: 255 x 5
    Bench: 155 x 3 x 5
    OHP: 100 x 3 x 5
    Power clean: Not training them, on the advice I get my deadlift up first.

Squat 200 x 5 set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XDmsAWaG84#t=0m16s

OHP 100 x 5 set 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzAbp_HX_Vs#t=0m22s

Deadlift 255 x 4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4qXciyiZck

(My first attempt at 255 only yielded 4 reps, I think my grip strength gave out on the 5th rep. I waited 5 or so minutes and tried again with straps and pulled 5, but for some reason, my camera stopped recording after the first 2 reps of that set.)

What do I need to work on?

I'll make you a deal. Pick one of the videos above and we'll critique that one.

Squat please.

You are lifting your chest as soon as you ascend. In fact, I would go as far as to suggest your squat is all but entirely lacking hip drive.

Break with the knees and the hips at the same time. Right now, you break with the hips, then the knees.
    Keep the knees planted at the bottom.
    Drive your ass straight up from the bottom of the squat. Stop lifting your chest and bringing your hips forward.

I'm not a coach, but I can see you aren't taking a valsava even from here. I also see the lack of shirt crinkles at the bottom of the squat, probably because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trewarin View Post
    I'm not a coach, but I can see you aren't taking a valsava even from here. I also see the lack of shirt crinkles at the bottom of the squat, probably because of this.
    I would disagree. We cannot really see his face, but you can hear him exhale at the top of each rep and do a little chest lifting thing prior to descending which is probably where he gets his breath.

215 x 5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl97Q...utu.be#t=0m14s

I'm sorry I left my feet out of the video. I didn't notice until I watched the video at home. I'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

The only thing I think I fixed was my knees and hips not breaking simultaneously at the start of each rep. I tried to remember to move my knees to the position they need to be in during the initial beginning of the descent and then just moving my hips back, but without seeing my feet, I can't tell how well I did (apologies once again). I also see the bar is rolling somewhat on my back by looking at the collars and I think this is due to upper chest looseness or dropping of the elbows. Thoughts?

You are breaking the knees and the hips at the same time. Good work. More important, however, is to drive your hips up. That is the essence of this squat. Hip drive. Worry about nothing else besides pushing your knees out hard and driving your ass straight up on the ascent.

The first thing I noticed is that he starts his squats by shoving his hips back and leaning forward. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you start by unlocking the knees?

starting strength coach development program
    You want the knees and hips to unlock at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast