starting strength gym

Thread: Powerclean Form Check - 6 x 2 @ 79kg

Default Powerclean Form Check - 6 x 2 @ 79kg

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches,
    I would really appreciate if you could do a form check on my powercleans.
    I'm currently following the Texas Method and progressing my cleans at 1kg a week.

Firstly I know I have to improve my elbow speed. I believe this is my main issue.
    I use the hook grip and I have read advise on this forum to (I don't know how to say it better) let go of the hook in the 2nd phase of the clean... I've tried, but my grip seems to be stuck throughout the whole movement.
    Any thoughts, tips?

I also understand on a few reps I'm catching the bar and than 'squatting' too deep, effectively doing cleans.

Also on the last couple of sets, I get a bit lazy and don't set my back properly.

The video contains 6 sets of 2 (plus 2 complete misses at 2:00 and 3:32.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow_3RRRfkk0

Thanks so much,
    Luke.

Your main issue is that on EVERY rep you catch the bar in your hands. Not on a single rep do your hands relax to let the bar land on your delts rather than in your hands. Since you know that this is an issue, it's a question of commitment on your part. YOU have to make the decision to let go of the bar. My "tip" would be to LET GO OF THE BAR. Only YOU can do this as well as prevent forest fires.

The other issue I note is that your jump is rather peaceful, and incomplete. You need to jump harder and reach full extension. You are not getting hips / knees / ankles fully extended. The last thing is your gaze point is incorrect. It should be on a point on the floor 12-15' in front of you.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate you taking a look.

Your main issue is that on EVERY rep you catch the bar in your hands. Not on a single rep do your hands relax to let the bar land on your delts rather than in your hands. Since you know that this is an issue, it's a question of commitment on your part. YOU have to make the decision to let go of the bar. My "tip" would be to LET GO OF THE BAR. Only YOU can do this as well as prevent forest fires.
    I will give this a go next week.

The other issue I note is that your jump is rather peaceful, and incomplete. You need to jump harder and reach full extension. You are not getting hips / knees / ankles fully extended.
    I didn't notice this, but you are right. I will definitely try and be a bit more aggressive with the jump.
    I think my jump has gotten a little conservative because I used to donkey kick quite bad. So I guess in the back of my head, I'm worried if I jump too hard, I'll start donkey kicking again.

The last thing is your gaze point is incorrect. It should be on a point on the floor 12-15' in front of you.
    I must of missed this part in the book. I will reread that section.

Here's my video from today - contains set 2 - 6 at 79.5kg

I concentrated on "letting go of the bar" and it really helped. On the majority of the reps, my elbows are much faster and the bar landed on my shoulders instead of my hands.

Now I really need to focus on the jump phase. Whenever I try to get more explosive, I start donkey kicking, so I really need to get out of that habit.

Your cleans are not as bad as some we've seen. You would benefit from touching the thigh a little higher and staying out over the bar a little longer. You jump is very slow and gentle. It must happen faster.