starting strength gym

Thread: Reps for aging shoulders

Default Reps for aging shoulders

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I get older (54) I notice more discomfort in my shoulders. It has not kept me from lifting but has got me thinking about training smarter and avoiding future problems? I have heard it is better to avoid high reps for pressing movements and just stick to 5 reps or less and only do bench and press. What are your opinions and experience with this?

Thanks

My preference for sacred rep numbers has moved around over the decades. It was sets of 10 in my teens and early 20's. Then it was sets of 6-8 reps for most things other than my calves from then on. I did a couple of 20 rep squat routines in my late 30's and early 40's. These days I do 5-3-1 and only go over 5 reps on accessory exercises when I do 8.

I've heard plenty about how old guys like us (I'm 62) should avoid max singles. But with a little caution and use of good judgement I don't find them problematic or risky.

My own opinion is that the numbers are not a big deal. It comes down to what you find "works" for you. I suspect that the "works" part is a purely subjective number that you are comfortable with.

I'm 53 and lots of shoulder history. Over the last year since finding Rip and SS, I've tried different reps to see what felt the best. My experience has been 5 is the magic number. Lower then 5 and the weight causes too much stress, shoulders get sore. Higher and my shoulders get sore from the volume. On the latter, I could stay with light weight, but what's the point? So like the three bears, 5 is just right :-)

I should note: I still actively work as a blacksmith, so my shoulders get no rest. That's a big factor in how I choose my reps.
    Last edited by Gerald Boggs; 06-16-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks gentlemen. How many days a week do you lift?

I lift 3 times a week.

Heavy pulls are your shoulders friend.

I'm 62 and have been doing 5 reps x3 sets now for 9 months. I'm getting stronger and no shoulder problems. I did have to drop from 3 workouts a week to two about 3 months ago. Unlike that stud, Mark E. H. (Ha!), I couldn't recover well from 3 workouts a week once the weight got heavy enough.

3 times a week. Most of the time, its' regular, light, regular.

starting strength coach development program
    59 and a big fan of the Texas Method, so 5x5 of either the Bench or the Overhead Press on the volume day, 5 x 2 or 3 of the press I didn't do on the volume day on the recovery day, and then a couple of sets of heavy singles or doubles on the lift I did on the volume day, followed by 8x3 backoff sets at a much lighter weight in the apparently futile attempt to promote some mass. I credit the OPs for helping cure me of a nasty case of tennis shoulder a few years back.