starting strength gym

Thread: Goblet squat

Default Goblet squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Everyone,

This is my 2nd post. I think my 1st post was posted in the wrong area. Currently, I work out at home. I've worked out in a HIT style for quite a long time. Totally burned out with going to failure on every exercise. So I want to give SS a shot. I can bench, DL, press and clean. However, I have no way of getting the bar on my back for back squats. Can goblet squats be used as a replacement. I know they're not ideal, but I'm not training to be a power lifter. Just want to increase my strength as much as possible. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Jim

Shit. Just found my other post. Sorry for the double post.

No, you can't load a goblet squat high enough for it to really get you strong. If that's all you can do then do em, certainly better than doing no squat movement, just don't expect the results the program suggests you can get.

A goblet squat is basically a front squat with the weight supported by your hands and wrists. You'll soon work up to a weight where your upper-body is the limiting factor. They are nice for teaching back control and the hip hinge to beginners though -- much easier to learn/coach than real barbell squats.

Zercher squat

Corrie and Charlie (cwd) pretty much said it. The question is: why can you not get the bar on your back to squat? Do you have a severe mobility limitation, an odd injury of some sort that allows you to do all the other lifts but not squat, or do you not have a rack?

If you're unable to get a rack, IMO you'd do better working with higher volume cleaning the weights for a front squat.

But really, you need a rack. Use the search function to discover any number of options.

My issue is that I do not have squat stands or a squat rack. There are a couple of cheap options that I will ck out. Thanks for the replies!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3737 View Post
    My issue is that I do not have squat stands or a squat rack. There are a couple of cheap options that I will ck out. Thanks for the replies!
    Yes, definitely do this. Craigslist is a goldmine for serviceable racks on the cheap.