starting strength gym

Thread: Why is it that "standing dumbbell pressing trumps standing barbell pressing"?

Default Why is it that "standing dumbbell pressing trumps standing barbell pressing"?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was hoping someone more knowledgable than I could explain that quote, which is from the pressing article now on the home page.

That seems contrary to just about everything SS is about in terms of barbell superiority, but I'm sure there is a good reason.

Here is an expanded version of the qoute in case you don't want the full article:

"seated barbell pressing trumps machine pressing; seated dumbbell pressing trumps seated barbell pressing; standing military pressing with barbell trumps seated dumbbell pressing; standing dumbbell pressing trumps standing barbell pressing; Olympic-style barbell overhead pressing trumps everything.

The sentence before is also important: "Here is how the pecking order lays out when it comes to maximum muscle stimulation." It would probably be the other way around if was referring to 'maximum strength development'.
    Last edited by hollismb; 06-28-2013 at 12:29 PM.

The Olympic style press is way down on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by hsilman View Post
    haven't read the article, but going Jeopardy style, the question may be "what overhead pressing exercise allows you to press in the most vertical bar path?"

To be fair to the subject, Starting Strength says that dumbbells are also superior, excepting the inability to conveniently increment the loading. Which is a huge factor, of course.
    That and starting position. There's no real way to rack dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcpie View Post
    That and starting position. There's no real way to rack dumbbells.
    Those are the things that make dumbbells great.

starting strength coach development program
    i have rackable dumbbell handles like this:
    http://www.gymandfitness.com.au/forc...ell-hooks.html

i have never used them