starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training for kids under 6 years old

Default Training for kids under 6 years old

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Rip, I was just curious, is there a particular reason for kids not to start training before they're six? You've obviously got no problem with kids weight training, which makes sense, so I was just wondering why that's the youngest age you recommend (p.250 of Practical Programming).

I can see several reasons, including burning them out, lack of general motor skills, or just difficulty in maintaining safety and discipline, all of which are somewhat valid, but I'd like to know your reasoning.

And don't worry, I don't have any toddlers waiting in the squat rack. Purely hypothetical.

Awww, I searched Google and everything...

Since this has obviously been asked before, but I couldn't find it, can someone direct me to the thread?

Maybe this got moved because it is a stupid question?

I'm sure the book mentions it,
    Or Rip does somewhere else.
    Kids of this age need to develop, an that means co-ordination; sure. But strength is not the goal here. LOVE for exercise and physical activity of all kinds is important. Be a role model, if you have sons be a big/bad/calm motherfucker that they want to be like. And the mother you're fucking should be actively participating in the gym if you have daughters you want to be healthy one day.
    Get them tiny barbell looking toys that they can imitate you with IF they choose to, but that's it.

The books (all 4 of them) do mention kids. Namely, that they should engage in a wide variety of activities, but that it's also fine and even beneficial for them to train with weights. As I said, this is hypothetical for me. I don't have kids, and all my nieces/nephews live quite far away at the moment. I'm not trying to force any kids into weight training. I was mainly just curious about the specific age.

Quote Originally Posted by PEBCAK View Post
    The books (all 4 of them) do mention kids. Namely, that they should engage in a wide variety of activities, but that it's also fine and even beneficial for them to train with weights. As I said, this is hypothetical for me. I don't have kids, and all my nieces/nephews live quite far away at the moment. I'm not trying to force any kids into weight training. I was mainly just curious about the specific age.
    Making kids under 6 do anything for longer than a few minutes is like herding cats. My kids (8 and 5) love to play with weights, but serious training is another story.

Little kids like to do what grown-ups are doing. Buy them a tiny baby squat rack and barbell and let them imitate you without any significant weight. If they get good/interested, give them some weight. This ain't rocket surgery, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Palmer View Post
    Maybe this got moved because it is a stupid question?
    Why is it a stupid question? Kids start in some physical pursuits like dancing or swimming when they're like 2 years old. Doesn't mean its right for strength training / weight lifting, but it's an alright question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    Why is it a stupid question? Kids start in some physical pursuits like dancing or swimming when they're like 2 years old. Doesn't mean its right for strength training / weight lifting, but it's an alright question to ask.
    Such an alright question that it's been asked many times already. Hence its being moved to "Repetitive Inquiries..."

starting strength coach development program
    I think the general consensus is kids are able to begin supervised weight training when they are sufficiently "coachable". That is to say, they can understand and respond to cueing and are able to maintain proper form throughout the respective ranges of motion. Progression for children who meet the above criteria is slower as they only progress so long as they can maintain perfect form.

Prior to puberty, the majority of the benefit from training will be neuromuscular efficiency, as they do not yet have the required level of steroid hormones in circulation to greatly increase muscle size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast