starting strength gym

Thread: Beginner cardio suppliment advice...

Default Beginner cardio suppliment advice...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Figured I would start here before getting flamed in the big boy forum.

Literally just started starting strength this week. Starting from a very low base strength. In the words of travis bickle too much abuse has gone on too long. 34 years old 5'9" quite stocky build 195lbs. No idea on bmi.

From first of July have set myself the goal of doing the programme ten weeks at a bare minimum and address from there. As I am likely 30lbs or just over overweight I am keen to bring my gut down at the same time as increasing strength but dont want to over exert away from SS and lessen my potential for progress. I have read though lots of material both on the site and through the pdf I got from amazon but while it is touched upon would like to know an advised amount of cardio I can do to try as well as the SS programme. Im not planning on marathon running here just likely a rowing programme my friend reccomended to me. But I would ideally be looking at doing it just before training, just after or even both. Likely 15-20 mins max three times a week.

So I guess my question is would I be better doing cardio on strength training days on the alternate days off or just not bother at all and accept the fact I will be a fat fuck for a little while longer?

Thanks all hope that wasnt too garbled.

There are no PDF's available on Amazon to my knowledge.

If strength is your primary goal, then do the program as written, and work your weight with moderate caloric intake. For the first few months, any cardio will have an ill effect on the program.

Skip the cardio entirely and eat clean. I was 41 or 42 when I started, 5'8" 195 and quite fluffy. I just ran the program while eating paleo. Did not GOMAD. Started slow and was able to add 10 lbs for a while. BW stayed the same for about 6 weeks, but inches dropped off waist - pound of muscle for pound of fat exchange. Life, injuries and poor form interrupted training several times, requiring 30 lb deloads each time. Now weigh 180, have a 32 inch waist, recently squatted 315 for a single and pulled 345 for a single. And could still lose 10-15 lbs and be above 10% BF. And can go out and ride a century if I want with only weekend bike training. Seriously, go slow, eat clean and skip the cardio for 6 months. You will like what you see. I guarantee it.™

Hi Flames, from my personal experience doing a rowing circuit, even if it's not overly intense, will effect your strength workout. I've tried it a few times and it definitely lessens my squats. I would suggest if you are keen on rowing do it after your 3 workouts on the SS program.

I am also doing strength training with an aim of body re-composition and weight loss, and so far have lost 35lbs and more than 10% bodyfat without any cardio, but also eating less, and cleaner, than the program suggests. I will likely have to add cardio down the track to get the BF down further, but so far the muscle building and strengthening has worked very well. Good Luck