starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist Injury - No press \ clean - Still possible to use SS?

Default Wrist Injury - No press \ clean - Still possible to use SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip,

after many years wasted doing the typical gym instructor's workouts, i've finally decided to train by myself considering the very bad stalling i've had with those routines.

Strength is definitely my weakness, my loads are very small and SS seems to be the best option. So i was going to happily buy all your 4 books on Amazon, when a doubt came up to my mind.

You often repeat how important it is not to modify anything in the routine, but 2 years ago i had a bad injury - tendinitis - at my left wrist... not because of weights, but because i'm a classical guitar player.

Now the wrist isn't completely fine, but i can play again without pain, and do most of my exercises in the gym (including bench press, deadlift, back squat, pullups, chinups, dumbbell shoulder press) ... but i'm afraid that i won't be able to extend my wrist as much as needed in the front squat, OHP and clean.

Will i be able to do the SS program substituting these exercises with DB shoulder press and Rows\Pullups?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

The front squat is not in the program. The wrist is neutral, not extended, in the press. The clean can be compensated for with grip width. This, and the relationship of repetitive-use tendinitis to strength, is all covered in the books you have yet to buy.

Hi Rip, thanks for your answer.

Yes i know that the front squat is not in the program, but I put it as an example of what kind of grip i have to avoid absolutely: i have never practiced the OHP or the Power Clean, so i wasn't sure that the grip would have been the same... and indeed you are confirming that the OHP grip is neutral.

I have ordered the books. Hopefully they'll be here within a few weeks and i'm really looking forward to start this program.
    The fact that you have covered the topic of repetitive-use tendinitis is a very good piece of news... hopefully your approach - which i bet will be much different from the approach of all the doctors that have visited me without any results - will give me something useful to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The front squat is not in the program. The wrist is neutral, not extended, in the press. The clean can be compensated for with grip width. This, and the relationship of repetitive-use tendinitis to strength, is all covered in the books you have yet to buy.
    Where is tendinitis and strength discussed in the books. I checked the index in SSBBT3 and it refers me to patella tendinitis due to messed up squats. I couldn't find it in the index for PPST2. The stuff I remember on my own relates to injuries from bad form.